Welcome to Club XIII

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

305 Engine

Re: Welcome to Club XIII

Post by 305 Engine »

Theres a David Bowie quote about concept albums which I cant find right now but from memory, he said most albums are concept albums in one way or another.

Because they're usually a collection of songs written by the same people at around the same time, and so the material inevitably reflect whats going on around them or going through their heads at that moment in their lives. You get a thematic concept album almost by default.

What I think happens with DBT is that PH is very shrewd and can analyse what he's doing while he's doing it. So that he's able to identify the themes appearing in their writing and structure a record with those in mind. The last 3 DBT albums have been concept albums to some extent. And all - to my ears anyway - work better for it.

Clams

Post by Clams »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:48 am
Theres a David Bowie quote about concept albums which I cant find right now but from memory, he said most albums are concept albums in one way or another.

Because they're usually a collection of songs written by the same people at around the same time, and so the material inevitably reflect whats going on around them or going through their heads at that moment in their lives. You get a thematic concept album almost by default.

What I think happens with DBT is that PH is very shrewd and can analyse what he's doing while he's doing it. So that he's able to identify the themes appearing in their writing and structure a record with those in mind. The last 3 DBT albums have been concept albums to some extent. And all - to my ears anyway - work better for it.
I agree with this - and if not lyrically conceptual, most records do sound musically conceptual. That is to say that the songs will have a similar overall vibe. The better ones will achieve both the musical vibe and the thematic concept. And you're right, PH sure does have a knack for this.

Or some shit... :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am
PH is very shrewd and can analyse what he's doing while he's doing it.
He is and he does. He's also thoughtful and committed to the process of making records. Related to themes/concepts but different, PH is incredibly good at sequencing records in ways that add to and emphasize the themes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Anyone else a little bit annoyed that Welcome to Club XIII is the band's 14th album?

No, just me?

Ok
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:36 pm
Clams wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:40 am
PH is very shrewd and can analyse what he's doing while he's doing it.
He is and he does. He's also thoughtful and committed to the process of making records. Related to themes/concepts but different, PH is incredibly good at sequencing records in ways that add to and emphasize the themes.
All true but I didn't say that

Also, trust the process

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The irony is palpable! I honestly hadn’t considered the numerical issue previously, but this is a good point, ZC.

Thanks for correcting my word choice, BTB!
Zip City wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:54 pm
Anyone else a little bit annoyed that Welcome to Club XIII is the band's 14th album?

No, just me?

Ok
Last edited by Beaverdam on Thu May 26, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:35 pm
All true but I didn't say that
Huh! I know that. Not sure how that happened. Apologies to both you and 305.
Zip City wrote:

No, just me?

Ok
Yeah, I'm gonna guess just you but I have to say we've all made less relevant musings from time to time. I like it.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Speaking of less relevant musings:

In The Driver, the phrase "An epiphany, a moment of clarity" reminds me of the diner scene in Pulp Fiction every time I hear it.

And like the song, there are many instances in Pulp Fiction that would have been completely different if not for the timing of that one little thing---often just the timing of Vincent being in the bathroom----Mia Wallace's overdose, the stickup at the diner, and his own death. And Butch never would have gone back to his apartment where he killed Vincent if his girlfriend would have just remembered to take the watch. And had Jules not had his moment of clarity, Vincent likely wouldn't have been there alone.
Let the outside air in

Clams

Post by Clams »

this is the first time I remember being just a week from a new record release with no leak.

Although I’ve considered the possibility that everyone has it but me, lol.

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

Zip City wrote:

No, just me?

Ok
Yes! When it was announced, I assumed it was a reference to bands that had made it to 13 and that there was some rock 'n ' roll mythology worked in.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This may be old news to those of you on Facebook (I am not), but Bryan just sent me a pic which someone posted of the new album’s credits, and our dear friend Smitty is listed.

I’m simultaneously happy, proud, and sad!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 pm
This may be old news to those of you on Facebook (I am not), but Bryan just sent me a pic which someone posted of the new album’s credits, and our dear friend Smitty is listed.

I think about him pretty much everyday when a topic comes up that I know he could elaborate on in great detail. The latest was the myth making surrounding the Outlaw Country movement. There was also a CMT special on it but I have no idea if that's still out there anywhere.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Are we still on DBT12 in terms of iterations of the band? So DBT12 is releasing Welcome to Club XIII, their 14th album?

I’ve never been one of the cool kids with any pre-release stuff so I’m not a good one to say whether there is a leak about.

Anticipation is high for next weekend! DBT does such a good job with the total package, the album art and liner notes which are so much a part of whole experience to me.

Smitty - so many emotions - I hear ya KG, many times I’ve looked back for “what did Smitty think about x” or “I wonder what Smitty thinks about..."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:02 am
Beaverdam wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 pm

I think about him pretty much everyday when a topic comes up that I know he could elaborate on in great detail. The latest was the myth making surrounding the Outlaw Country movement. There was also a CMT special on it but I have no idea if that's still out there anywhere.
Smitty was unbelievably important to this community. He was a unique observer and a keen devotee of the band's history, not to mention Rock and Roll history in general. I read once that the most important thing we lose when someone passes is a point of view, I can't imagine anyone epitomizing that more than Smitty.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:40 pm
I read once that the most important thing we lose when someone passes is a point of view, I can't imagine anyone epitomizing that more than Smitty.
I agree with that completely but would add to it Smitty's enthusiasm for the subject (broadly defined) and his openness/willingness to learn despite his already incredible knowledge, which traits practically jumped off the screen w/ many of Smitty's posts.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

litdimly wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:12 am
Are we still on DBT12 in terms of iterations of the band? So DBT12 is releasing Welcome to Club XIII, their 14th album?

I’ve never been one of the cool kids with any pre-release stuff so I’m not a good one to say whether there is a leak about.

Anticipation is high for next weekend! DBT does such a good job with the total package, the album art and liner notes which are so much a part of whole experience to me.

Smitty - so many emotions - I hear ya KG, many times I’ve looked back for “what did Smitty think about x” or “I wonder what Smitty thinks about..."
I'm not sure how many incarnations of DBT's there have been at this point but I do know this is the longest lasting. The One of These Days website had a breakdown of all (or at least most) of them. Unfortunately, the return of that website was short-lived. It was a resource I returned to frequently. I'm not sure exactly when Matt joined the band but his first album with them was English Oceans in 2014.

The only time I did the pre-release thing, the album was late. I always hear about them being late most every time with everyone else so I've never bothered with them. As for leaks, I rarely, if ever hear about them anymore. Not saying they aren't out there, I just don't recall the last time I heard about one. Since I no longer live in close proximity to a record store I do wonder where I'll find the new DBT's album. I know in the past that Best Buy used to carry them but I'm not sure about now as some big boxes have phased CD's out all together. If I'm unable to find it locally I guess I'll order it online. I'd love to own it on vinyl but that is not an option for me at the moment.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Matt’s first show was in March 2012. I think in Denver. We were at the Nashville shows 2/9 & 2/10 and Matt was there working out sings at soundcheck but Barbe played the show. We first caught word of him joining the band at Homecoming in January.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:06 pm
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:40 pm
I read once that the most important thing we lose when someone passes is a point of view, I can't imagine anyone epitomizing that more than Smitty.
I agree with that completely but would add to it Smitty's enthusiasm for the subject (broadly defined) and his openness/willingness to learn despite his already incredible knowledge, which traits practically jumped off the screen w/ many of Smitty's posts.
Absolutely.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:28 pm
Matt’s first show was in March 2012. I think in Denver. We were at the Nashville shows 2/9 & 2/10 and Matt was there working out sings at soundcheck but Barbe played the show. We first caught word of him joining the band at Homecoming in January.
I remember hearing the word from you at HC that year (even think it was at Clocked) and I had no idea who he, nor the Dexateens, was. That changed fast.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

phungi

Post by phungi »

Listening to The Driver this morning, and these lyrics jumped out at me:
And when you’re changing lanes and passing on the right
Check your blind spot and signal your intents
While they (obviously) work in the literal sense, prefacing the "Honda full of girls go airborne into the trees", they also work metaphorically...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

phungi wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:03 am
And when you’re changing lanes and passing on the right
Check your blind spot and signal your intents
While they (obviously) work in the literal sense, prefacing the "Honda full of girls go airborne into the trees", they also work metaphorically...
Wise words from wise men (Phil and Patterson). I honestly think much of the song could be construed as an early-life/mid-life comparison/metaphor!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Two things:

1) Let’s change “to” in the title of this thread to “2” since it was the 80s, after all.

2) I choose to believe that the angels in the trees on A&F probably sound a lot like Schaefer Llana’s vox on “The Driver,” and think the song actually has a lot of thematic resonance with parts of Act II of SRO (say, from “Plastic Flowers” on).
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 am
I choose to believe that the angels in the trees on A&F probably sound a lot like Schaefer Llana’s vox on “The Driver,” and think the song actually has a lot of thematic resonance with parts of Act II of SRO (say, from “Plastic Flowers” on).
Yes, but I'd add "Days of Graduation."

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:

2) I choose to believe that the angels in the trees on A&F probably sound a lot like Schaefer Llana’s vox on “The Driver,” and think the song actually has a lot of thematic resonance with parts of Act II of SRO (say, from “Plastic Flowers” on).
This is such a good point, MM! The two songs (actually three—Plastic Flowers, The Driver, and Days of Graduation) would work so well together in concert! I think The Driver’s musical style is different than much of SRO, but lyrically it could fit as a part of that album!
Last edited by Beaverdam on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Beaverdam wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

This is such a good point, MM! The two songs would work so well together in concert! I think The Driver’s musical style is different than much of SRO, but lyrically it could fit as a part of that album!
Lyrically, much in common with SRO.
Sonically, very similar to much of Murdering Oscar.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:18 pm
Beaverdam wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

This is such a good point, MM! The two songs would work so well together in concert! I think The Driver’s musical style is different than much of SRO, but lyrically it could fit as a part of that album!
I've avoided listening to any studio versions of the songs yet because I'm weird like that, but damn that makes me excited.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:48 am
cortez the killer wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:

I've avoided listening to any studio versions of the songs yet because I'm weird like that, but damn that makes me excited.
Just to be clear, I'm only referring to the song "The Driver." That song alone has me fired up to hear W2CXIII.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:20 am
brettac1 wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Just to be clear, I'm only referring to the song "The Driver." That song alone has me fired up to hear W2CXIII.
Yes, understood. I really love Murdering Oscar so seeing that thrown around elevates my excitement level.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brettac1 wrote:
I've avoided listening to any studio versions of the songs yet because I'm weird like that
I admire your restraint.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brettac1 wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:

I've listened to the first two singles, but I have avoided all the live versions
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever