Welcome to Club XIII

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

lajakesdad

Re: Welcome to Club XIII

Post by lajakesdad »

Where can one hear The Driver?

Loving the new Cooley tune

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:10 pm
Zip has often said that he felt like Heat Lightning changed Patterson’s writing a lot. I tend to agree. It’s not that it wasn’t good, it just changed and it seems like the new ones are more like what he used to do.
Yep, that was me, though the observation had as much to do about song arrangements as it did about songwriting. When I hear songs like Rosemary or Sun Don't Shine or Guns of Umpqua, they sound (to my ear) MUCH more like Hood solo tunes than proper DBT songs. If there's an acoustic guitar, piano and cello (and no Cooley to be found), it just doesn't sound like DBT to me.

Conversely, songs like Baggage, Heroin Again, The Distance, etc. don't fall into the category
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

lajakesdad wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:24 pm
Someone posted a short bit of it in what they call the "big" DBT's group on FB. Otherwise, my understanding is, the Truckers don't want any of the new songs to be uploaded to sites like Archive. BTW, I haven't seen any sort of official statement from the Truckers saying that, I'm just going by what I've seen fellow fans say in the DBT's groups on FB.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I agree with the observation that there have been a lot of DBT Patterson songs in the past decade that sound like his solo work.

He still has a few total PH/DBT songs up his sleeve on every album, but the vibe from Heat Lightning comes out all over the place still. It’s not a bad thing (I love Rosemary, for example) but it’s definitely there.

Club XIII has to be the most fun song he’s done since Aftermath USA.

Clams

Post by Clams »

lajakesdad wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Loving the new Cooley tune
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:07 pm
KcGhostToMost wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:33 am
Not that a guy with such few posts matters in this discussion....
In the words of Harry Bosch, everybody matters or nobody matters.
Coincidentally just discovered last nite that there is a new Bosch series called Bosch: Legacy. The first two episodes were quite promising, but more relevant, twice during the first episode including once during the first minute, Bosch says "everybody counts or nobody counts." :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Driver is out

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

There's a video:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Who is the female on backing vocals?
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 pm
Who is the female on backing vocals?
That's Schaefer Llana, who sang with Jerry Joseph at Homecoming 2020.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Welcome to Club XIII

Post by Iowan »

That riff is pummeling.

The Driver reminds me of a blown-the-fuck-out Ever South

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I had the advantage, as some others do, of having heard the song live, so already have had thoughts and feelings about it.

But I'll venture to say that to me, it immediately enters the pantheon of top-shelf DBT songs. It does so much of what they do well, and also shows how, when they want to, Barbe and the band can "use" the studio to add wonderful elements to a song without distracting one little bit. (I'd actually like more of this)

I saw that it's seven minutes long, but man, it MOVES, which is of course credit to EZB, but also how the band manages to lightly bring a sledgehammer riff, not losing any of its power.

And Jeez, having heard some of the other, quieter more contemplative songs (Billy Ringo, We Will Never Wake You Up, Shake and Pine), Patterson has just gone next fucking level lyrically, and this absolutely includes "The Driver". He's always had a poetic element, but these lyrics stand alone--without sounding forced, without detracting from the incredibly strong melodies of all these songs (I've had each of them rattling around my skull from time-to-time)--as poetry in a way that previous lyrics could not, and that is not to say any of those were not utterly effective as lyrics. After all these many years, the fact that he's still growing, and damn it, getting better at his craft when it'd be pretty easy to cruise is admirable and remarkable.

I think the only song I've not heard either live or in the early release is "Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent". I can't imagine that one won't be at the very, very high standard the rest have established. (And I still listen to "Every Single Storied Flameout" three or four times a day).

I cannot wait to immerse myself in this record. Despite absolutely loving the previous records released during my fandom, THIS feels like the one I've been waiting for.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Clams

Post by Clams »

Some thoughts on the Driver. I saw six DBT shows last month so I'd heard it a few times before yesterday. I knew it was good but I had no idea it would be THIS good. Had a chance to listen a few times while driving (!!) last night. It was a great experience: a warm night, by myself, cruising through the badlands of north and west Philly, stereo cranked way up, windows down. Those opening chords and chunky riffs are classic Patterson Hood and they sound like something that would fit right in on the Murdering Oscar record. The lyrics are harrowing and, best of all, relatable. I mean, who hasn't seen crazy shit while driving late in the night at some point in their life? Someone used the word "pummeling" to describe song and that is accurate, largely due to the rhythm section which is just devastating on this song. And the guitar outro - brings to mind something you'd hear from Crazy Horse or even a latter day E Street Band guitar frenzy. This is a really, really good song* and it obviously bodes well for the new record.

*Not sure if The Driver qualifies for "top shelf" since said shelf is occupied by Heathens, Living Bubba, Ronnie & Neil, Grand Canyon, etc, but if not it's pretty damn close

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

This is really a great read.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 am
Those opening chords and chunky riffs are classic Patterson Hood and they sound like something that would fit right in on the Murdering Oscar record.
The band has gotten to a place where Patterson doesn’t have to hold songs for a solo record
Always go to the show

Iowan

Welcome to Club XIII

Post by Iowan »

I actually think this is one of the most “DBT” style songs from Patterson in awhile. A lot of his post Heat Lightning stuff has a similar vein to what he mined there.

I do agree this would fit on Murdering Oscar, but I also think most of Murdering Oscar would work seamlessly with DBT and I wish they’d pull those songs out live.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

That riff is addictive.

I'm finding it a little strange that the first "single" was the title track. Its a decent song but Flameout and Driver have been a big step up and suggest a really strong album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

305 Engine wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:33 am
That riff is addictive.

I'm finding it a little strange that the first "single" was the title track. Its a decent song but Flameout and Driver have been a big step up and suggest a really strong album.
I feel like their “single” the last few albums has been one of my last choices, but that’s why I’m not in the band

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:22 am
305 Engine wrote:
That riff is addictive.

I feel like their “single” the last few albums has been one of my last choices, but that’s why I’m not in the band
Go back and check the history of rock and roll and you will find there is rarely any correlation between singles and the best songs on a record.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am
Zip City wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
That riff is addictive.

Go back and check the history of rock and roll and you will find there is rarely any correlation between singles and the best songs on a record.

Too true. SOO many bands that I've liked over the years have released the weirdest singles

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Zip City wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:26 am
Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Too true. SOO many bands that I've liked over the years have released the weirdest singles
What I have seen over my many years of listening to music is that the singles released usually are the main topic/theme of the album or a key idea/concept they wanted heard first before the whole album was released.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
That riff is addictive.

They tend to be the more "immediate" songs though. Unless a band are deliberately being slightly obtuse like REM putting out Drive or E Bow the Letter as initial singles.

Either way, having heard The Driver my expectations are now high. Superb track.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:40 am
is this a secret concept record?
I don't know whether this was written by Patterson or a professional press/public relations person, but somebody (besides me) agrees with you. See especially the first and last paragraphs.

https://www.drivebytruckers.com/press/D ... II-BIO.pdf

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sometimes the single can also be the song that "someone not already a fan of the band might like"

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

So I was at a work conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, most of this week. (Shoutout to the Harrisburg PA airport for having AC/DC's "TNT" playing on the the outdoor speakers yesterday morning when the hotel shuttle driver dropped me off).

I checked my phone in Philly before getting strapped to the projectile and had a message from RedCelt telling me The Driver had been released--he knew I'd want to know because I wouldn't shut up about this song in Athens.

The spoken lyrics on this song make me think back on Days of Graduation, but in this case, the 442 never went airborne--at least for the speaker and folks around him.

We've heard the references to what happened on I-10 before. We've heard the story of White Knuckles before. But they're framed differently this time.

I think this song goes hand in hand with Every Single Storied Flameout thematically. I'm not as familiar with Billy Ringo in the Dark, but it has a similar feel. Songs about harrowing times for yourself, and songs seeing other people go through it without the wisdom you lived long enough to have, and songs about people who didn't make it.

This secret concept album feels like a culmination---when you're finally old enough to see how the puzzle fits together.
Let the outside air in

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

I really liked Welcome 2 Club XIII as the first song released for the new album. I feel like it was perfect to show their shift in album theme and direction. A reminiscing historical piece that’s catchy and fun. Probably the most logical choice of the 9 songs. I really like it. Obviously Every Single Storied Flameout is an instant classic with superior songwriting and will be a fav of mine always. The Driver is good but I prefer the other two more. Listened to it a ton. Maybe I need more listens for it to grow on me. I already know my favorite on the entire album will be We will never wake you up in the morning. I’m not even going to act like it’s going to be another. My favorite artist all time is and will always be JTE. I love the fact that Patterson wrote a song about his final moments of life and the ongoing issue with fentanyl etc. There will never be anymore JTE songs in the future as he didn’t leave extra songs just laying around. So this is as close as I’ll get to another song and I’m looking forward to seeing how it fits in with the other tracks. I also really like Shake and Pine the few times I’ve heard it. Overall big shift from their last three albums (which I loved and think is some of their very best writing they have ever done) so I’m looking forward to seeing where this album takes them next in songwriting.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Appreciate all of your thoughts and insight. Makes the waiting tolerable; not much longer now!

It’s been an Unraveling week for me but while looking for something else, I came across this:

https://www.drivebytruckers.com/stories ... _jenn.html

I’m pretty sure I’ve read it before but didn’t recall the reference to Club XIII. And then there’s Chris Quillen, who by all accounts had an indelible impact on the DBT family in life and in death.

The press release (or whatever it’s called) for Welcome 2 Club XIII is nicely done. I think I would have rolled my eyes at “invites bittersweet reminiscence” before experiencing a global pandemic but I’ll be damned if that’s not what I’m doing with the songs that have been released thus far. Maybe the same is true for the band, that the fresh shared separately experience took the vibe in a different direction than otherwise, added to the “all sort of magical.”
schlanky wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:58 pm
This secret concept album feels like a culmination
It really does. Back to Chris Quillen, I guess I had him on my mind and then read the press release with the lyrics from Wilder Days: I find it best to laugh at the absurdity of life above the ground.

Enjoying the bad-ass sonics on The Driver - how about the Patterson vocals over Patterson spoken in the bridge? Brilliant!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

litdimly wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:40 am
how about the Patterson vocals over Patterson spoken in the bridge? Brilliant!
Big time.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You guys know what the fuck you're talking about. A pleasure to read all the comments and insights after a long stressful day.