Chicago - 9/22

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Chicago - 9/22

Post by Bill in CT »

DBT will play the Goose Island Beer Co. 312 Block Party on September 22.

The Hold Steady and Lillie Mae are also on the bill.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

ilockyer

Re: Chicago - 9/22

Post by ilockyer »

Now that is a nice lineup.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Holy crap. I would love to go to this. I wonder if/what capacity will be capped at?

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

Not only is it a great lineup, but the price of admission is some suggested donation and beers are something like $3. I think long lines and/or potential capacity issues are the only roadblocks for this one. Definitely considering a fall weekend trip to Chicago to catch this!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Based on my 25 years of attending these types of street fairs in Chicago, I'm guessing we won't see a "full" set from either THS or DBT. Probably an hour from THS and, maybe an hour and a half from the boys. Hope I'm wrong.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

TV on the Radio on the bill as well. Hot damn
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Tentatively in.

For any Chicagolanders who have done one of these before - how early would one need to show up to get a good spot by the stage? Would showing up at 4 when the event starts do it or is this like a line up hours before situation?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Just announced that Hold Steady are playing a show at the Empty Bottle on Friday the 21st. Its a small place and tickets will go fast. On sale on Tuesday, 10:00 CST. Password is Goose18.

Zip Up to Michigan

Mr. B wrote:Just announced that Hold Steady are playing a show at the Empty Bottle on Friday the 21st. Its a small place and tickets will go fast. On sale on Tuesday, 10:00 CST. Password is Goose18.

Thanks.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Mr. B wrote:Just announced that Hold Steady are playing a show at the Empty Bottle on Friday the 21st. Its a small place and tickets will go fast. On sale on Tuesday, 10:00 CST. Password is Goose18.

Thanks.
Hope you can make it. 'Cuz you owe me a beer.

roryg81

Post by roryg81 »

Oh yes, the Luverly Lisa and I are on this one since the boys don't get any closer to us. Wheeee

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Mr. B wrote:Based on my 25 years of attending these types of street fairs in Chicago, I'm guessing we won't see a "full" set from either THS or DBT. Probably an hour from THS and, maybe an hour and a half from the boys. Hope I'm wrong.
Set times are out, and unfortunately my instincts were correct. Hold Steady on at 7:15; DBT at 8:45. And I'm 99% sure that it will be a tight 10:00 curfew, so we are looking at a 75 minute set.

Zip Up to Michigan

Mr. B wrote:
Mr. B wrote:Based on my 25 years of attending these types of street fairs in Chicago, I'm guessing we won't see a "full" set from either THS or DBT. Probably an hour from THS and, maybe an hour and a half from the boys. Hope I'm wrong.
Set times are out, and unfortunately my instincts were correct. Hold Steady on at 7:15; DBT at 8:45. And I'm 99% sure that it will be a tight 10:00 curfew, so we are looking at a 75 minute set.
This kind of puts me on the fence. I was hoping for a full set from DBT.

What would you recommend as far as parking goes?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Mr. B wrote:
This kind of puts me on the fence. I was hoping for a full set from DBT.

What would you recommend as far as parking goes?
I don't head to that part of town very often, so don't know much about parking around there. I suspect its limited and you need to get there early. Gee, that was really helpful, wasn't it?

Hope you can make it, but can understand why you wouldn't make the trip . . .

chihio72

Post by chihio72 »

I have not parked in the area during the Goose Island festival before, but I live in the general area and my best suggestion, if you must drive, would be to approach from the west (from Western Avenue) and look for street parking on the east-west streets between Western and Damen. (use your normal city common sense re: leaving nothing in your vehicle). Saturdays are chaotic in the West Loop and Fulton Market, which would make parking anywhere east of the festival a crapshoot at best.

Overall, the most foolproof plan is probably to park elsewhere and take the green line or pink line to the Ashland L stop.

Zip Up to Michigan

chihio72 wrote:I have not parked in the area during the Goose Island festival before, but I live in the general area and my best suggestion, if you must drive, would be to approach from the west (from Western Avenue) and look for street parking on the east-west streets between Western and Damen. (use your normal city common sense re: leaving nothing in your vehicle). Saturdays are chaotic in the West Loop and Fulton Market, which would make parking anywhere east of the festival a crapshoot at best.

Overall, the most foolproof plan is probably to park elsewhere and take the green line or pink line to the Ashland L stop.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not very familiar with Chicago, so I'll ask this - if I take the pink line, is there an area you would recommend somewhere along the line/a certain stop I can park close to and then hop on?

chihio72

Post by chihio72 »

Actually, come to think of it, I think I have a better recommendation if you are driving into town: check out spothero.com. I just did a quick search for availability to reserve a spot on Saturday, and a number of nearby options popped up. For example, Fulton West (just east of Ogden) is showing as $9 for a 12 hour period beginning at 4:00 PM on Saturday. For that modest of a price, I think it's a no-brainer. There are a number of options as far as lots and garages. Spothero is pretty hassle-free in my experience.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Anyone else snag tickets to the Hold Steady show tomorrow night? Looks like Sweet Baby Jay is opening.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Jack Flash wrote:Anyone else snag tickets to the Hold Steady show tomorrow night? Looks like Sweet Baby Jay is opening.
I wish. Tried to get them at THS facebook pre-sale, empty bottle pre-sale and when they went on sale to the general public. 0-3.

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags
Surrender Under Protest
Sink Hole
A Ghost to Most
Runaway Train
Sounds Better in the Song
The Living Bubba
Kinky Hypocrite
KKK
Ronnie and Neil
Marry Me
What It Means
Shit Shots Count
Lookout Mountain

Zip Up to Michigan

Looks like it was a massive crowd. You guys have a good time?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Looks like it was a massive crowd. You guys have a good time?
Massive indeed. Life got in the way and I couldn't follow my own advice -- we got there at 6:00, stood in line for an hour and when we got close to the front they announced that they were no longer letting people in for the rest of the night. It was a beautiful night for a rawk show, very bummed we missed it.

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

I suffered the same fate; my group got there around 6 and stood in line and never got in. Boo... it was perfect night for an outdoor show.
Backing up, I used to live in Chicago but am in CA now. I'd flown in to hang out with old friends and the show was part of our plan. So, double boo.
But... we had got our way into Hold Steady on Friday at Empty Bottle. Jay opened and we saw part of his opening set. He was on piano/keys and Patterson came out for few songs. We were in way back and it was hard to hear but it sounded like various covers; I know they played "Lawyers Guns Money" b/c everyone in the place was shouting the chorus. Hold Steady were quite great and I'm really glad we went b/c... it save the weekend from being a music-bust.