DBT in Denver - 10/13/17

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: DBT in Denver - 10/13/17

Post by brett27295 »

Gaetzi wrote:I'm not thrilled to know its going to be a 60 minute set but when DBT is playing 20 minutes from home, I go.
I just saw on Facebook that DBT will start at 9:30 and end at 10:00. Seems like a really odd gig. I think it's more about the whiskey tasting than any sort of concert.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I just got 2 VIP comps and can't go tonight because it's my kids bday.

First person to message me here gets them. I can email them to you.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

TW_2.0 wrote:I just got 2 VIP comps and can't go tonight because it's my kids bday.

PM sent.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:I just got 2 VIP comps and can't go tonight because it's my kids bday.

PM sent.
Awesome
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:

PM sent.
All yours ! Just pm me your email and I will forward them asap.

Glad they will go to good use ! Enjoy some whisky and DBT for me. Literally 2 of my 3 favorite things. :x
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

TW_2.0 wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

PM sent.
All yours ! Just pm me your email and I will forward them asap.

Glad they will go to good use ! Enjoy some whisky and DBT for me. Literally 2 of my 3 favorite things. :x
Huge thanks. We had literally had a Craigslist deal fall through about five minutes before your post and we were pretty bummed. Sometimes things work out.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:I'm not thrilled to know its going to be a 60 minute set but when DBT is playing 20 minutes from home, I go.
I just saw on Facebook that DBT will start at 9:30 and end at 10:00. Seems like a really odd gig. I think it's more about the whiskey tasting than any sort of concert.
Saw this too but I have been more or less reliably informed that the show will be an hour, which may not be THE rock show but is still A rock show and I wish i could be there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:I have been more or less reliably informed that the show will be an hour, which may not be THE rock show but is still A rock show and I wish i could be there.
Truth
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Surrender
Lookout
Gravity
Sinkhole
Ramon
Umpqua
Shit Shots
Ronnie
Zip City
LTBR
Kinky
KKK
Hell No

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Surrender
Lookout
Gravity
Sinkhole
Ramon
Umpqua
Shit Shots
Ronnie
Zip City
LTBR
Kinky
KKK
Hell No
Can't argue with that
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Surrender
Lookout
Gravity
Sinkhole
Ramon
Umpqua
Shit Shots
Ronnie
Zip City
LTBR
Kinky
KKK
Hell No
Looks like more than 30 minutes. Glad things worked out for the most part.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Really glad I went last night. Thanks again to TW for the opportunity. They played almost exactly an hour (roughly 9:20 to 10:20) and--as is obvious from the setlist--came to rock. Umpqua was the only time we saw an acoustic guitar. The band is on fire right now, even in an abridged set.

Haven't heard Gravity's Gone live in quite a while, so that was fun. Patterson swapped in what sounded like "seen mountains like Red Rocks at 7 a.m." in Hell No for a little local flavor. Got my first KKK and Matt sounded terrific. No WWW, though; too on-the-nose?

There was definitely some production money behind this event: lights were good, lots of fog, sound nicely dialed in for such a huge room. Front-fill speakers for those of us up near the rail.

People up front were giving them love, and the rest of the crowd seemed to be enjoying it. I imagine they won some new fans last night.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Lots of fog seems to be the norm these days.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

A few random thoughts from Friday night. Even though it was a whiskey tasting event it caught everyone off guard when an email goes out afternoon of saying DBT starts at 9:30 and the event ends at 10. They ended up playing a full hour and kicked ass. The weird thing was it was a really well run event so I'm not sure why they did that. The event itself was pretty cool. Very much like a beer festival setting with ~60 different distilleries set up with booths pouring tastes of their liquor (there was a decent amount of tequila as well) Cool venue as well- an old Air Force hanger that they turned into a museum with old bomber planes lining the sides of the hanger. It was well attended (~400-500 people?) and considering everyone was drinking brown liquor I didn't see anyone wasted or even getting rowdy. I couldn't guess the ratio of people there for the tasting vs DBT but I was impressed w the size of the crowd for the Truckers, I'd say the majority of people stayed till the very end.

And while you're always hoping for a 2.5- 3hr Rock Show, their hour set was a really pleasant surprise. Concise, no bull shit, 60 minutes of the good stuff. And because it was a quick one off gig, Patterson only played one song acoustic and Cooley was only on his new Baxendale for the evening which gave the set a bit of a more old school feel. I really like Imagine, Made Up English Oceans, etc but this was a nice change of pace. Shit Shots Count, Ronnie and Neil, Zip City, Let There be Rock? that's a solid fucking string of tunes. Sound was surprisingly good for a huge airplane hanger. I want to say Cooley botched a lot of the vocals on Shit Shots Count but that could have been my buzz kicking in and it doesn't really matter anyway. I once saw Garcia fall asleep on stage mid solo.

So all in all, it was a cool evening w a great DBT set and there was something nice about catching the last DBT show of the year after American Band release, the big year of touring they did behind it, etc.. Patterson put it a bit more eloquently but basically said the same.

3 of the 4 guys I was with came to the 2011 (??) Alabama Shakes year Homecoming shows and we all agreed that we were overdue so we'll all you guys in Athens this February.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Gaetzi wrote:I once saw Garcia fall asleep on stage mid solo.
I believe the technical term is "nodding out" ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gaetzi wrote:3 of the 4 guys I was with came to the 2011 (??) Alabama Shakes year Homecoming shows and we all agreed that we were overdue so we'll all you guys in Athens this February.
Excellent. I hope others follow your example.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:3 of the 4 guys I was with came to the 2011 (??) Alabama Shakes year Homecoming shows and we all agreed that we were overdue so we'll all you guys in Athens this February.
Excellent. I hope others follow your example.
Planning on my first. It's time. Long past time, probably.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote: Planning on my first. It's time. Long past time, probably.
It's the most wonderful time of the year. We decided on the spur of the moment to attend in 2012 and we haven't missed a Homecoming since. This year will be our 7th.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

brett27295 wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote: Planning on my first. It's time. Long past time, probably.
It's the most wonderful time of the year. We decided on the spur of the moment to attend in 2012 and we haven't missed a Homecoming since. This year will be our 7th.
Speaking of...isn't it time to start speculating about dates? I've heard rumors of sometime around President's Day, so I guess smart money would be on 2/15-17?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Long past time, probably.
The use of "probably" as a modifier there indicates that you still haven't quite grasped the enormity of the event. ;)

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

pearlbeer wrote: Speaking of...isn't it time to start speculating about dates? I've heard rumors of sometime around President's Day, so I guess smart money would be on 2/15-17?
A lot of us have already booked rooms/AirBnB for those dates so I sure hope so :lol:

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

brett27295 wrote:
pearlbeer wrote: Speaking of...isn't it time to start speculating about dates? I've heard rumors of sometime around President's Day, so I guess smart money would be on 2/15-17?
A lot of us have already booked rooms/AirBnB for those dates so I sure hope so :lol:
Booking rooms based off what information? Genuinely curious.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote: Booking rooms based off what information? Genuinely curious.
Mostly second hand information and posts on the Drive-By Truckers Facebook fan page. Then people realized that Athens is pretty much booked up that weekend, panic ensued, and everyone tried to book what they could.

For what it's worth (and that's probably not much) I would be really surprised if Homecoming isn't 2/15-2/17. Really surprised. But I don't know for sure of course.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

brett27295 wrote:
Mostly second hand information and posts on the Drive-By Truckers Facebook fan page. Then people realized that Athens is pretty much booked up that weekend, panic ensued, and everyone tried to book what they could.
Dazed is sold out. I might not go. That party is half the reason for being there.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
Dazed is sold out. I might not go. That party is half the reason for being there.
C'mon, Rod. We all know that the party is wherever you are.

BTW, Courtyard is sold out, too. Not sure what I'm gonna do (though I do know I'll be at homecoming), but those hotel nites are a key part of my Marriott rewards annual qualifying strategy so I'm bummed.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote: Booking rooms based off what information? Genuinely curious.

For what it's worth (and that's probably not much) I would be really surprised if Homecoming isn't 2/15-2/17. Really surprised. But I don't know for sure of course.
Booked an AirBnB with a flexible change/cancellation policy for that weekend. Here's hoping!

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
C'mon, Rod. We all know that the party is wherever you are.

BTW, Courtyard is sold out, too. Not sure what I'm gonna do (though I do know I'll be at homecoming), but those hotel nites are a key part of my Marriott rewards annual qualifying strategy so I'm bummed.
I spoke with the sales coordinator at the Courtyard 2 weeks ago. They are going to be undergoing major renovations this winter, shutting out a large block of their rooms. Got put on a wait list in case of changes;.apparently the construction dates are a bit fluid, and some reservations MAY become available. Decision to be made by owners/ management at the end of the month. Then promptly booked one of the last 2 rooms at the Dazed.
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

How bad is the America's Best Value Inn there in the area? I just called the Courtyard and Dazed with no luck.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Beaverdam wrote:How bad is the America's Best Value Inn there in the area? I just called the Courtyard and Dazed with no luck.
Based on the reviews, no worse than the dazed.
Dave

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Quite a few nice digs on air bnb within walking distance. Just booked one for <60/night.
Dave