Record Store Day Release

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

guitarmanmcs

Record Store Day Release

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Did anyone pick up the Record Store Day release? If you're in the York PA area, Ikos had around 8 copies this morning. They do ship!

ford911

Re: Record Store Day Release

Post by ford911 »

Sold out by the time I got to mine. Isbell too.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Twist and Shout in Denver had a whole bunch of both DBT and Isbell. They'll start taking phone orders on Monday.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

roryg81

Post by roryg81 »

Bought them both, but the download card for the DBT release didn't have the dl ready yet (!?)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I got the DBT but I missed out on the Isbell.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Listening to this for the first time tonight. Really digging it. I'd seen the YouTube videos, of course, so this isn't a "first listen" on some cuts, but I really like the AB songs (Cooley's especially) at the slightly faster tempos found here. At least that's how it sounds to me.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Picked this up Saturday morning, a few thoughts:

1. Vinyl is noisy. Haven't run it through my record cleaning machine yet but hopefully that will clear up some of the noise. The 3 other titles I bought Saturday were dead quiet.
2. The recording & mix is top notch. Congrats to the engineers who recorded it and Barbe for mixing.
3. So glad to have a studio recording of the new arrangement they've been playing for "This Fucking Job".
4. I think the version here of "Guns of Umpqua" tops the version on American Band.
5. Always nice to have another version of "One of These Days".

Highly, highly recommended.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Twist and Shout in Denver had a whole bunch of both DBT and Isbell. They'll start taking phone orders on Monday.
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered my copy from Twist and Shout.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Download is now live for those who bought it

Agree about this version Guns of Umpqua. One of my favorite tunes on American Band and this version's even better

Not so sure about this arrangement of TFJ yet.

One Of These Days is a song I can hear a million times and never get tired of

This release wasn't promoted as heavily as previous years, I guess. I showed up late on RSD assuming this would be long gone but there were a handful left. Glad I didn't have to resort to eBay

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

jimmyjack wrote:Download is now live for those who bought it

Agree about this version Guns of Umpqua. One of my favorite tunes on American Band and this version's even better
So I got mine online at Vintage Vinyl - wonder if I will get a download? Is a code attached to the album plastic? Yes, can't wait for the Guns. I may use it as my official AB version.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I have a friend who isn't into vinyl so he's looking for mp3's of this record store release. Can someone hook him up? You can send the mp3's to me and I'll forward. Thx.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

My best friends copy didn't have the download card so I gave him mine.
Keep calm and have a cigar

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:I have a friend who isn't into vinyl so he's looking for mp3's of this record store release. Can someone hook him up? You can send the mp3's to me and I'll forward. Thx.
That guy needs the Isbell RSD mp3s too, I hear.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

ramonz wrote: So I got mine online at Vintage Vinyl - wonder if I will get a download? Is a code attached to the album plastic? Yes, can't wait for the Guns. I may use it as my official AB version.
The download card will be inside the album jacket. Unless of course they forgot to put on in.

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlbeer wrote:
Clams wrote:I have a friend who isn't into vinyl so he's looking for mp3's of this record store release. Can someone hook him up? You can send the mp3's to me and I'll forward. Thx.
That guy needs the Isbell RSD mp3s too, I hear.
Yes as a matter of fact he needs that one too :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The guy at Twist and Shout was really nice to me as I hemmed and hawed my way through not getting anything else. Fortunately for me, the things I couldn't've resisted--the reissues of Hey Joe/Piss Factory and Psychotic Reaction, the clear vinyl of Brain Salad Surgery, the Randy Newman box--were sold out. I thought very hard about the Bowie live but decided against it, and even though the Isbell really interested me, I didn't even ask. I figured I'd leave it (if it were there) for someone who already had an Isbell record for it to accompany. I'll head up to the Arkansas Record/CD Exchange when I can find a ride or feel like riding the bus. There was one other I've craved for decades, the soundtrack to The Andromeda Strain. I've heard about that cover and never seen it. That one might leave with me if it's there if it looks as good as I've heard.

If there's anyone out there with a spare Dragon Pants who got skunked on this one, let me know. If I find another copy of this when I go up, well, I hate flippers but I'm up for an honest trade, even if you come out ahead. Once I have that one, I'll have all three of the Patterson songs I've seen premiered that've been released. And man! Am I ready for a great sounding version of Tough To Let Go. I still sing that one to myself a lot.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

By the way, since I went for the cheap shipping, it'll be one to three weeks before I get to hear it. If a copy showed up in my email, I wouldn't turn it down--but I was kind of a tight-ass about it when someone asked me to do that for them once, so if my karma bought me three weeks of waiting, I'm okay with that, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

roryg81

Post by roryg81 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:The guy at Twist and Shout was really nice to me as I hemmed and hawed my way through not getting anything else. Fortunately for me, the things I couldn't've resisted--the reissues of Hey Joe/Piss Factory and Psychotic Reaction, the clear vinyl of Brain Salad Surgery, the Randy Newman box--were sold out. I thought very hard about the Bowie live but decided against it, and even though the Isbell really interested me, I didn't even ask. I figured I'd leave it (if it were there) for someone who already had an Isbell record for it to accompany. I'll head up to the Arkansas Record/CD Exchange when I can find a ride or feel like riding the bus. There was one other I've craved for decades, the soundtrack to The Andromeda Strain. I've heard about that cover and never seen it. That one might leave with me if it's there if it looks as good as I've heard.

If there's anyone out there with a spare Dragon Pants who got skunked on this one, let me know. If I find another copy of this when I go up, well, I hate flippers but I'm up for an honest trade, even if you come out ahead. Once I have that one, I'll have all three of the Patterson songs I've seen premiered that've been released. And man! Am I ready for a great sounding version of Tough To Let Go. I still sing that one to myself a lot.
Picked up the DBT, Jason, Buddy Guy and The Andromeda Strain soundtrack. Dave at Madcity Music Exchange was glad to see I picked up a bizarre selection.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

I'd love the mp3's of this as well if anyone is sharing.

John A Arkansawyer

roryg81 wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:The Andromeda Strain soundtrack.
Oh, man! Tell me two things: Is the cover as amazing as I've always heard it is? And what's on the record, anyway? It's not like I was planning to listen to it. ;-)

hailaender

Post by hailaender »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Twist and Shout in Denver had a whole bunch of both DBT and Isbell. They'll start taking phone orders on Monday.
DBT on stock.

Just ordered.

Hai Laender

gepman

Post by gepman »

Going to go ahead and say it now...
This is the definitive version of "One Of These Days".
Honestly, too much feedback / wah-wah / echo, or whatever you want to call it, on the original to my taste.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I don't know how they're categorizing things (i.e. I can't think of any reason the Truckers release would be classified as a "twelve-inch" while the Isbell release was classified as an LP--they're both 12" EPs in my mind), but Twist & Shout has them each at #2 in their respective categories in their RSD wrapup. Partially a function of quantity (they seem to have been allocated quite a few copies of each), but good to our guys moving product!

https://www.twistandshout.com/in-stores ... -store-day

gepman

Post by gepman »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I don't know how they're categorizing things (i.e. I can't think of any reason the Truckers release would be classified as a "twelve-inch" while the Isbell release was classified as an LP--they're both 12" EPs in my mind), but Twist & Shout has them each at #2 in their respective categories in their RSD wrapup. Partially a function of quantity (they seem to have been allocated quite a few copies of each), but good to our guys moving product!

https://www.twistandshout.com/in-stores ... -store-day
Odd because the DBT is 7 tracks, Jason's is 6...?

Nice meeting and chatting with you at the 930 Club.

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is a great record. Highlights for me are Umpqua, Ramon and of course One of These Days. The one track I'm not digging is the groovin version of This Fucking Job. Reminds me of when Clapton killed Layla with that awful easy listening version.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

gepman wrote:
Nice meeting and chatting with you at the 930 Club.
Man, I wish that had been me since I haven't seen a Rock Show since January, but alas, I was home in Denver last weekend.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:This is a great record. Highlights for me are Umpqua, Ramon and of course One of These Days. The one track I'm not digging is the groovin version of This Fucking Job. Reminds me of when Clapton killed Layla with that awful easy listening version.
It's grown on me. I HATED it the first few times I heard it live (same with the new arrangement of That Man I Shot). I'm still not a huge fan of it. But I think the damn thing really grooves on this record. I'm glad to have it.

gepman

Post by gepman »

brett27295 wrote:
Clams wrote:This is a great record. Highlights for me are Umpqua, Ramon and of course One of These Days. The one track I'm not digging is the groovin version of This Fucking Job. Reminds me of when Clapton killed Layla with that awful easy listening version.
It's grown on me. I HATED it the first few times I heard it live (same with the new arrangement of That Man I Shot). I'm still not a huge fan of it. But I think the damn thing really grooves on this record. I'm glad to have it.
I'm not into it for the first few minutes, but then it kicks in nicely in the second half of the song.
I didn't really see a reason to re-work either of those two songs...
The redone American Band songs sound great, but for me, they sound so much like the record, I'm not really sure of the point in rehashing them.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

ooh yes, I will have to check this out because I get the Clapton reference. I constantly give that Layla version a thumbs down on Pandora when it comes on at work.

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:By the way, since I went for the cheap shipping, it'll be one to three weeks before I get to hear it.
Or so I thought! IT WAS IN MY MAILBOX TODAY! I'll be giving the vinyl its first spin with a friend tomorrow if all works out.

And thanks to the other friend--you know who you are!