Which Lineups Have You Seen Live?

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Hood/Cooley/Neff/Howell/Lane
No votes
Hood/Cooley/Malone/Bradburn/Lane
No votes
Hood/Cooley/Hicks/Morgan
No votes
Hood/Cooley/Malone/Hicks/Morgan
0%
Hood/Cooley/Isbell/Hicks/Morgan
4%
Hood/Cooley/Isbell/Tucker/Morgan
16%
Hood/Cooley/Neff/Tucker/Morgan
25%
Hood/Cooley/Neff/Tucker/Morgan/Gonzalez
26%
Hood/Cooley/Gonzalez/Patton/Morgan
28%

Total votes: 201

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Curious to see how many iterations of the band everyone here has seen

Select all that apply!
Last edited by Zip City on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Which Lineups Have You Seen Live?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't seem to recall a version of the band that included Earl Hicks and Matt Lane. I know I saw at least a couple of shows prior to Earl being in the band and Brad was already the drummer. The choices also don't include the versions of the band that included Barry Sell, Chuck Bradburn or Spooner Oldham. Then again, you may be limited in the number of choices you can list in the options. On the Spooner tip, I know at one time the timeline on the One of These Days site included the line up with Spooner but it's not listed now. Maybe because he was only with them for one tour. The Dirt Underneath, if I'm not mistaken. I'm also pretty sure Neff returned to the fold prior to Jason leaving, at least to the best of my recollection.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't seem to recall a version of the band that included Earl Hicks and Matt Lane. I know I saw at least a couple of shows prior to Earl being in the band and Brad was already the drummer. The choices also don't include the versions of the band that included Barry Sell, Chuck Bradburn or Spooner Oldham. Then again, you may be limited in the number of choices you can list in the options. On the Spooner tip, I know at one time the timeline on the One of These Days site included the line up with Spooner but it's not listed now. Maybe because he was only with them for one tour. The Dirt Underneath, if I'm not mistaken. I'm also pretty sure Neff returned to the fold prior to Jason leaving, at least to the best of my recollection.

You're right. I"ll edit this to the "timeline" standards on oneofthesedays.org. You'll have to re-vote

Clams

Post by Clams »

Please edit to include Spooner.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:Please edit to include Spooner.

The fine line of being a member of the band or just "sit in with". How about Barbe?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

RolanK wrote:

The fine line of being a member of the band or just "sit in with". How about Barbe?

Yeah, we could have a million choices if we include every sit-in player. Booker, Will Johnson, Barbe, Papa Hood, Spooner.....

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Yeah, we could have a million choices if we include every sit-in player. Booker, Will Johnson, Barbe, Papa Hood, Spooner.....

Spooner played an entire tour leg right after BTCD came out. Didn't he also play the dirt underneath right before that?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:Spooner played an entire tour leg right after BTCD came out. Didn't he also play the dirt underneath right before that?

Yes, he played with them most of 2007 and most of the first part of 2008 after the record was released. Wikipedia list these folks as past members and I'm pretty sure it's right:

Shonna Tucker
Jason Isbell
Spooner Oldham
Earl Hicks
Rob Malone
Matt Lane
Adam Howell
Barry Sell
John Neff
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

How about the Neff/Patton combo?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:How about the Neff/Patton combo?

Yep that's another one. I hereby declare this poll to be suspended pending further due diligence by Zip.

Kudzu Guillotine

I think having the option of only being able to list 10 choices when the DBT's have had at least 12 different lineups (that we know of) may pose a problem.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

and if I change the choices, it resets the poll

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:and if I change the choices, it resets the poll

Zip if you're gonna demand polls, you gotta get em right.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Till now 50% of the shows I've seen were with a combo not listed…
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

For those that may have never seen it, this is probably the earliest footage (3.25.97) I've ever seen of the band. It was originally aired as part of the Soundcheck program out of Athens and may have been the only time the Truckers ever performed without Cooley. The line up here is Patterson, Neff, Matt Lane, Barry Sell and Adam Howell. I believe Smitty was the first to post the footage. By the way, I'm not suggesting that this one time line up be added to the poll options, I just thought some folks might like to see it that may have never seen it before. I wish there was more early footage out there. I have some pro-shot footage from my first DBT's show at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill from 2000 that just needs to be transferred to DVD and then uploaded to YouTube. A shot from that show appears on the back cover of the original Alabama Ass Whuppin' release though that portion of the concert was not filmed (at least to my knowledge). They did two sets, one on the main stage and one next door at the Carolina Sports Bar (dubbed "the Sleaze Lounge" during Sleazefest). This was a similar festival to Sleazefest called Honkytonkarama. On the bill that night in addition the the Truckers were Blue Balls Deluxe, the Star Room Boys, Trailer Bride, Billygoats and the Backsliders. The first night (which I missed) included Hobart Willis, the Tremblers, Chicken Wire Gang, Kenny Roby, The Carbines (fronted by Tift Merritt) and Two Dollar Pistols.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My poll, my rules. Wasn't trying to cover every single iteration of the band (nor could I)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Ok I don't know as much about this band as I think, who is Chuck Bradburn?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Cole Younger wrote:Ok I don't know as much about this band as I think, who is Chuck Bradburn?

He played bass in the second lineup of the band, at least going by the timeline at the One of These Days website.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Ok I don't know as much about this band as I think, who is Chuck Bradburn?

He played bass in the second lineup of the band, at least going by the timeline at the One of These Days website.

Wow. First time I have ever heard of him. After years of reading articles about the band and countless interviews a with Patterson about the band's history I've never seen his name mentioned even once. Must not have been arou d long.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Cole Younger wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Wow. First time I have ever heard of him. After years of reading articles about the band and countless interviews a with Patterson about the band's history I've never seen his name mentioned even once. Must not have been arou d long.

I don't think I would have known about him if not for the timeline at One of These Days. I'm not sure if he's ever been on a record or listed in the liner notes.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Chuck's a mean bass player; I've seen him play in. Don Chambers + GOAT.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:Chuck's a mean bass player; I've seen him play in. Don Chambers + GOAT.

Thanks for chiming in, I may have seen him with Goat a few years back at AthFest.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Smitty wrote:Chuck's a mean bass player; I've seen him play in. Don Chambers + GOAT.

Thanks for chiming in, I may have seen him with Goat a few years back at AthFest.

Didn't he play in Southern Bitch as well, at least for a bit?
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

sg207 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Didn't he play in Southern Bitch as well, at least for a bit?

Yes, I think that's right.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

In the little booklet with BTCD, Spooners picture is on the last page. He is listed as a special guest and the album is dedicated to him.
My first show in 2003 Earl Hicks was on bass. Neff started playing with them during the 2006 Blessing and a Curse tour. During the BTCD
tour we saw Matt Lane play a couple songs with them in Tallahassee and during the 2009 request show Adam Howell sang Late for Church
and back up on another song. Also on a trip to Florence to see the Dexateens a couple of years back we saw Rob Malone's band at a bar
around the corner.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

bwitte

Post by bwitte »

I though for sure that I have seen a lineup with Isbell and Neff together! At the 9:30 in fact.

Kudzu Guillotine

bwitte wrote:I though for sure that I have seen a lineup with Isbell and Neff together! At the 9:30 in fact.
This is from the tour in support of A Blessing and A Curse, taken at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View California on June 18, 2006. More here.

ImageImage

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

bwitte wrote:I though for sure that I have seen a lineup with Isbell and Neff together! At the 9:30 in fact.
I saw that lineup together a few times. I posted some pics from a show back in 06 with that lineup in the Concert Pics thread.