What year did you become a fan of the Drive-By Truckers?

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

1996 or earlier (pre-DBT groups)
No votes
2%
No votes
No votes
No votes
6%
4%
19%
15%
13%
15%
4%
6%
No votes
4%
No votes
2%
2%
4%
2015 or later
4%

Total votes: 48

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

After voting, maybe share your story of how/what/when you got turned on to the Drive-By Truckers. Since polls can not have more than 20 options and the Truckers have been playing together for more than !!20 years!! some years are not an option.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

potatoeater

Re: What year did you become a fan of the Drive-By Truckers?

Post by potatoeater »

In early 2007 I moved to west Tennessee. Covington, TN to be more precise. I was moving out there for the company I worked for at the time. We were to take over the retail operations of the local farmer's CO-OP. One of the first people I met out there was a guy named David (Late4Church). I can't exactly recall the first time he played DBT for me but I do remember he let me borrow his Live At The 40 Watt DVD to listen to as background music while I set up my new apartment. That DVD must have played over and over 100 times. My first favorites were Goddamn Lonely Love, Sinkhole and Where The Devil Don't Stay but still I wasn't quite on board with the DBTs.

Over the next few months David was my only real friend out there and he eventually came over to join the company I was working for. I spent most of my free time at David's house eating good BBQ and drinking way more alcohol than I ever had in my life. He would always be playing Truckers and trying to drive them home to me. It wasn't until one night at David's, just me and him, sitting around the house drinking and probably playing Tiger Woods on the PlayStation, I was reading the lyrics on the inside of one of their albums and it clicked! BOOM! I raised up off the couch and exclaimed at the amazement over what I was reading. It was at that point that I got the Truckers. I understood what they were about and what they were doing.

I went to my first Trucker show in Memphis, TN at the New Daisy Theater on March 14, 2008. I moved to Nashville in 2008 for the same company but kept in close touch with David and we kept going to every Trucker show within a few hundred miles that we could. It wasn't long before we had over twenty shows under our belts and we kept on going!

Today I have a family and so does he. I don't get to go to shows like I used to but I still go when I can. I listen to DBT every single day. Really. There is not a day that goes by that I do not listen to DBT. They are literally 99% of the music I listen to. They are all I really need (musically). My life was forever changed by the DBTs and their music and without a doubt it was a change for the better. They are a source of entertainment, education, enlightenment and therapy. I don't want to imagine my life without this band.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

roland

Post by roland »

06- A friend brought The Dirty South over one day and I was hooked. It was a month or so before ABAAC came out, and I was stoked. Saw them twice late that year in Asheville and Durham, and got a great pic of me and Shonna after the Asheville show.

She was about to leave the stage, I got her attention, and she took a few steps and slid across the front of the stage to me.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

This short clip from The Secret To A Happy Ending explains a large part of what makes me and keeps me a forever fan of the DBTs. I love this clip! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

potatoeater wrote:Since polls can not have more than 20 options and the Truckers have been playing together for more than !!20 years!! some years are not an option.
June 10, 2016 marked the 20th anniversary of Drive-By Truckers, at least to the best of my understanding.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I became a fan around '08. I live in Covington not far from the coop you mentioned. I'll pm you!

potatoeater wrote:In early 2007 I moved to west Tennessee. Covington, TN to be more precise. I was moving out there for the company I worked for at the time. We were to take over the retail operations of the local farmer's CO-OP. One of the first people I met out there was a guy named David (Late4Church). I can't exactly recall the first time he played DBT for me but I do remember he let me borrow his Live At The 40 Watt DVD to listen to as background music while I set up my new apartment. That DVD must have played over and over 100 times. My first favorites were Goddamn Lonely Love, Sinkhole and Where The Devil Don't Stay but still I wasn't quite on board with the DBTs.

Over the next few months David was my only real friend out there and he eventually came over to join the company I was working for. I spent most of my free time at David's house eating good BBQ and drinking way more alcohol than I ever had in my life. He would always be playing Truckers and trying to drive them home to me. It wasn't until one night at David's, just me and him, sitting around the house drinking and probably playing Tiger Woods on the PlayStation, I was reading the lyrics on the inside of one of their albums and it clicked! BOOM! I raised up off the couch and exclaimed at the amazement over what I was reading. It was at that point that I got the Truckers. I understood what they were about and what they were doing.

I went to my first Trucker show in Memphis, TN at the New Daisy Theater on March 14, 2008. I moved to Nashville in 2008 for the same company but kept in close touch with David and we kept going to every Trucker show within a few hundred miles that we could. It wasn't long before we had over twenty shows under our belts and we kept on going!

Today I have a family and so does he. I don't get to go to shows like I used to but I still go when I can. I listen to DBT every single day. Really. There is not a day that goes by that I do not listen to DBT. They are literally 99% of the music I listen to. They are all I really need (musically). My life was forever changed by the DBTs and their music and without a doubt it was a change for the better. They are a source of entertainment, education, enlightenment and therapy. I don't want to imagine my life without this band.

Goldtoplespaul

Post by Goldtoplespaul »

potatoeater wrote:After voting, maybe share your story of how/what/when you got turned on to the Drive-By Truckers. Since polls can not have more than 20 options and the Truckers have been playing together for more than !!20 years!! some years are not an option.
I was going to church with David at oak grove baptist. Covington,Tennessee. I was into the old 70s rock and some of the harder stuff.. He told my about this crazy bunch of guys called the Drive by truckers. We'd sit outside in his Toyota truck listening to DBT every Wednesday night after church let out. I really like it!! He gave me a cd for me to listen too and man I wore that thing out!! That's been 13 years ago... David and I are still buddies, our kids are close to the same age, we hang out every week, and even live less than a mile from each other. I probably have met you before. Lol small world.

njMark

Post by njMark »

I was fresh out of my spikey hair, bondage pants hanging out in NYC punk days and was kind of an orphan music wise. I had a brief affair with the White Stripes being the center of musical universe. Then I was browsing Music Match and I saw The Drive By Truckers and I thought that's either the best name I've ever seen for a band or a typo and decided to check them out. My Sweet Annette, Something's Got to Give blew me away and I was hooked.

slideonthis

Post by slideonthis »

2003. A friend of mine told me I needed to see the Drive-By Truckers and told me to meet him at the bar at Slims in San Francisco. I tend to listen to his advice regarding music, so I showed up. Grabbed a beer and caught a little bit of The Mother Truckers who were kind of a groove band. They were fine, but I started wondering. Then DBT came out. As Margot Main who covered the show said--and then "The Drive-By Truckers pulled up in their John Deere tractors and plowed right through them." I was completely blown away. My friend was right. They will change you. He was right. "Patterson Hood wasted no time rallying the crowd to have a real good party. With a triple shot of guitars (Hood, Cooley & Isbell) and straight-eight cylinder rhythm (Earl Hicks-Bass and Brad Morgan drums) it didn't take long for fans to get to their happy place." DAH.