Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by Beebs »

From DBT's FB page. I'm way sadder now.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Can't say I knew the guy very much, but I bought a lot of shit from him over the past few years and BSd a little bit. Seemed like a great guy, and this sucks to hear.

"I can't die now 'cause I got another show to do". Indeed you did.

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

Absolutely heartbroken. Rest in Peace, good sir.
Last edited by chickenwingpuke on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

None of us know when its time to meet the Reaper. RIP.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

He was one of those people who you could meet one time and feel like you'd known him all your life; funny as shit too. Just an all around good guy; Athens won't be the same. My thoughts are with his friends and family (including DBT).

Last night I said Thundercrack embodied rock n' roll; so did Craig.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Here is a story that involves Three Dimes Down.

Last year I was trying to convince Craig to come to the New York/New Jersey area to play a gig with my band. He hemmed and hawed a bit. In the past couple of years he hadn't been playing out as much. As he explained it, the scene in Athens had changed and he was having trouble drawing more than ten people to his shows. If you have never heard what Craig did, it was kind of a cross between the experimental improv of artists like John Zorn and Krautrock. No commercial potential but for people like me who like that sort of thing, it is fantastic. I told him not to worry. I would promote the show on Three Dimes Down and between my band's following and Craig's friends in the NYC area there would be an audience. In March he called me and said that on a weekend in June he would be in the Baltimore area because Melinda's family had a wedding. If I could book a show for that weekend he would play. Luckily, the good people at Kenny's Castaways and Ian Lloyd from the 70's band Stories were willing to put together something when Craig was available.

Craig enlisted the help of two musician friends in New York who were signed to John Zorn's label. I drove down to Baltimore, picked up Craig and Melinda, and drove into the city.

About thirty people from Three Dimes Down, HeAthens and the wider Trucker community turned out for the show. Craig and the guys were fantastic. We passed a hat around and they made almost $200 for their set.

Driving back to Jersey Craig was absolutely stoked. He couldn't believe how much support and love he got from his good friends in the New York area. He kept saying how he was going to make a renewed commitment to his music, play more shows, record more and even tour a bit. Later that summer he told me that he was booking a series of shows in art galleries in Florida and Georgia and would go on the road behind his own music in the fall. In October he and Melinda loaded the gear into his car and played a week's worth of shows. Everytime we talked he was so excited about what he had planned musically.

I really believe it was the support the people here showed for Craig that night in June that inspired him to get back into playing more. The people in our community really did make a difference in his life.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

I just can't believe this. It makes me so so sad.

I'm from far away, but I had the honor of meeting Craig back in 2010 when I traveled from Israel to see DBT in Europe. We spent a lot of time together and instantly connected. Since then he became a man I can call a friend. Just a few weeks ago he sent me another message and asked how I been and told me for not the first time that if I ever arrive to Athens and the area I'll have a place to stay...

Craig - You're one of the finest and greatest people I've met on my travelings. I'm always saying that the people I meet on the road are right on top for me as the music I'm traveling so far to see. Especially people who become friends.

You'll be missed my friend. I'll always remember your kindness, good heart and smile. I'm glad that I got to know you in my life.

In the pic - Me and Craig on the last day I saw him right before we said goodbyes. I'll never forget that week and what he did for me. RIP.

Shalom my friend
אתה תחסר ותמיד איתי בלב*
Tomer

*You'll be missed and will always be in my heart (from hebrew).
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

mhc

Post by mhc »

StevieRay wrote:
Clams wrote:I doubt that Craig knew or remembered me because i dont get to that many shows

He remembered everyone. Uncanny ability. Nicest guy in the world.

This just sucks... RIP Craig.

This is true. He was a great memory. One of the kindest souls in Rock n Roll. Monty610 introduced me to him a few years back. Anytime I saw the Truckers, I always made a point to speak to him. And no matter how busy he was, he ALWAYS took time to talk to you.
Rock shows won't be the same.
I'm so sad.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I am shocked and saddened by Craig's passing. He ALWAYS made me feel like family at all the shows. I can honestly say I have NEVER met anyone more friendly than Craig. I will miss him greatly.

RIP Craig. You were one of THE GREAT ONES.

Hud

Post by Hud »

My heart goes out to all that knew Craig. I will miss seeing him at the shows, he was such an easy person to relate to, like someone you grew up with but hadn't seen in in along time, but you could pick up right where you left off. I'm glad I got to hangout with him before the show outside the orange peel and talk for a while. I would always get one of the autographed posters at the shows and I would always ask him to sign it, to me, he was a member of the band.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Hud wrote:to me, he was a member of the band.

Yes.

breadfan

Post by breadfan »

I met Craig in 1984, he was this wild haired dude with a bottle of unopened Jack in his hand. We met, hit it off, opened the bottle and proceeded to dink the whole damn thing, just the two of us. Friends from the get go. One of the best friends I've ever had. I don't know what I'm gonna do with out him around when I go up to Athens to visit. I just don't know.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

theco.Ikeep

Post by theco.Ikeep »

TruckerTomer wrote:I just can't believe this. It makes me so so sad.

I'm from far away, but I had the honor of meeting Craig back in 2010 when I traveled from Israel to see DBT in Europe. We spent a lot of time together and instantly connected. Since then he became a man I can call a friend. Just a few weeks ago he sent me another message and asked how I been and told me for not the first time that if I ever arrive to Athens and the area I'll have a place to stay...

Craig - You're one of the finest and greatest people I've met on my travelings. I'm always saying that the people I meet on the road are right on top for me as the music I'm traveling so far to see. Especially people who become friends.

You'll be missed my friend. I'll always remember your kindness, good heart and smile. I'm glad that I got to know you in my life.

In the pic - Me and Craig on the last day I saw him right before we said goodbyes. I'll never forget that week and what he did for me. RIP.

Shalom my friend
אתה תחסר ותמיד איתי בלב*
Tomer

*You'll be missed and will always be in my heart (from hebrew).

I don't know you. But I looovveeeddd this story!!! Craig's awesomeness crosses oceans!!! RAD
Hope you're listenin tonight from Israel.

Charcoal Mellowed

Post by Charcoal Mellowed »

I've been to nearly 50 shows over the years all over the southeast. Walking into the 40 watt every January since TDS, heading over to see Craig was always a highlight. He was like an old buddy, that knew you and loved you from the moment he met you. A few years back I remember him joining the band for People who died. It was the highlight of the show. That song will now always be his.

He had a ball. His smile glowed. His spirit will always fill that room. Can't wait to get there tomorrow, but it won't be the same.

Fly on home

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I'm speechless.

RIP
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's going to be an emotional night at the 40 Watt. That room needs to channel all its love
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

How shocking and upsetting. I only met Craig a couple of times but he could not have been more courteous, kind, and generally awesome to me. I first met him during Athens 2011 at a soundcheck - he introduced himself out of nowhere to Emily and me and talked to us for several minutes on the couch over by the merch stand. That summer I met him again at the Montclair, NJ show while waiting in line outside. He remembered me and we spoke again.

RIP Craig.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I guess it's time to tell my Craig story. First time I ever went to a DBT show was Feb 2010. I show up early for the show as is my habit at GA shows, we're talking like hr+ before doors. It's about 30 outside. I'm just chilling out by the front door, freezing my ass off. The door opens, and a guy waves me inside, so I do, anxious just to get out of the cold. This is during soundcheck too.

That guy, of course, was Craig. We start talking, and we'd always get together for a few minutes whenever our paths would cross. I'll miss this conversations. Nice to know when I'm alone 300 miles from home there'd be someone there who'd know me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:If you have never heard what Craig did, it was kind of a cross between the experimental improv of artists like John Zorn and Krautrock. No commercial potential but for people like me who like that sort of thing, it is fantastic.

Aha. That explains the pre-show music.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Knew Craig well enough to say that we went to dinner a couple of times, for the first few years he always just called me Iowa, and that alone impressed me, then he stared with the first name and keeping track of which vinyl I owned, then the ocasional free sticker at the merch table.
Last night when I first saw him I went up and rubbed his coat for luck, he rubbrd my hair for his luck,
Later that night, he called me over to set up a seating arangment for Pattys wheelchar the next night, His last words to me were "If I'm not around tomorrow, you talk to Dave here, he'll get you set up, Of course not how he ment it. but still.

Its sad to say, but some people are forgotten not to long after they leave us, To say that that will not be Craigs fate would be ahuge understatement.

Safe travels you Vonnegut looking motherfucker
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Emily

Post by Emily »

What a terrible loss. Like Jeremy said, Craig was so welcoming to us in Athens a few years ago, and I'd talked to him a handful of times at the Detroit shows, too. Such a friendly, cool dude. He's gonna be sorely missed.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

The first DBT show I ever went to I was solo. I knew a lot about the band and their music, but had never seen them live yet. I was so excited that I got to the venue quite early. Basically for the first hour I was there it was just Craig, myself and the bartenders. We had a great conversation and he was very friendly to my noob questions. You will be missed Craig, RIP.

DELTA STEVE

Post by DELTA STEVE »

Craig sold me my DBT vinyl when they played in Birmingham a few years ago, we spoke at length about my love of vinyl and how pleased I was to see it on sale on the merch stand, down to Craigs love of vinyl. He also sold me my 2 signed posters of DBT from the 2011 UK tour and 2012's homecoming tour. And of course he joined DBT when they encored with 'People who Died' the first time I saw them in London. Simply, what a guy, makes you realise how fragile this life is.

DBT and the fans, rock that bloody roof off the 40 watt tonight for Craig!

I will be blasting Alabama Ass Whupping 5000 miles away in the UK!

RIP

Delta Steve

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

Howlin Wolf introduced me to Craig at the first NYC show I went to, same night I met JimmyC. From then on that guy treated me like I was his best friend anytime he saw me at a show. Always "Hey Monty what's up" and if Heather wasn't with me, "How's Heather?". If I wasn't with Wolf he'd ask about him too. As mhc said, he'd always make time to talk to you, and very often in my case he would take a break from the booth and stand outside chatting with me. At the Lexington show in the Fall he did that. We talked about everything from politics to the road, and he was talking to me about what he wanted to do when he "retired". I didn't know him as well as others. Hell, I "knew him" hardly at all. But I loved that guy, and enjoyed seeing and talking to him at every show. It just won't be the same from here on out. Maybe to some it's hard to believe "the merch guy" can leave such a mark, but as has been said, he was as much a part of the Rock Show experience as the band was. Godspeed...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

if you met him once he was a true friend. I like others for a while thought he was just acting like he remembered you etc but that couldn't be further from the truth. it was proved to me time and time again.

in 2010 at the boone show my wife was VERY pregnant! without us asking and without hesitation when he saw us he GAVE us (not sold us) a couple onesies for the little one in her belly. we saw him before the show thursday night and he gave her a big ol huge. so sad.

DrHoustonS

Post by DrHoustonS »

Met him a hand full of times; but got to be close with him via FB... what a gentle and humane soul. The good die young I suppose.... RIP Craig, for you are already sorely missed...
"Too weird to live... too rare to die..."

beergut

Post by beergut »

I didn't realize what had happened until the show was over.
I listened to the stream and could tell something was not right with so few words spoken and a sad sad vibe coming through the speakers.
After PWD I came here and saw what had happened.

So, so sad.
He was one of the greats!
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Yes, Craig remembered you even if he never knew your name. As some of you know, I took my then 11 yr old daughter, dubbed The Soonerette by LM, to The Paegent in St Louis for her 1st rawk show. March '09. So we are grabbing some merch, telling Craig we had driven in from central Okla for the show, etc. Of course he was very nice to Madi throwing some stickers and a few other things with her shirt which he put great thought in getting just the right one she liked the most. I mentioned I hadn't been able to find a GOAT cd in Okla. They were the opener that night. He went to their table grabbed their new one for us and said "come back up here after their set and I'll see to it that they will sign it. That happened of course. After the show we were waiting for our hotel shuttle (with some of you fine folks) and Craig walks up to Madi & I and says "if you have time to hang here a few more minutes we'll take y'all back for a pic with the band." shuttle showed up about that time so I declined but thanked him.
Fast forward to October '09. Rawk show at Cains with James McMurtry opening. I walked up to merch table to get a vinyl copy of The Fine Print. It was busy enough I had to wait in line. He barely had time to look up but when I handed him the money he looked up and said "hey, great to see ya. Is Madi here tonight?" I realized I had never really introduced myself to him properly but he had heard me call her by name that night in St Louis. He had a way of making even passing acquaintances feel special.
When I told Madi yesterday what had happened she had a little cry for the "nice guy at the Pageant".
RIP Craig.