Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, but sitting here by myself looking at a computer screen raising a glass to Craig was strangely and magically moving. Thanks to the initiators and participants.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

beantownbubba wrote:I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, but sitting here by myself looking at a computer screen raising a glass to Craig was strangely and magically moving. Thanks to the initiators and participants.

agree. it was my first cyber memorial. very cool

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Strangely and magically moving is right.
Who would have thought?..
Last edited by GW in IA on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Missed the memorial due to work but raising a glass now to Craig. Shine on.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

southernshelter.com

This is the music playlist for Craig Wayne Lieske’s Memorial Service that was held on February 2, 2013 at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, GA.
Craig is featured as a musician in each of these pieces.

All live recordings provided by Sloan Simpson.
Garbage Island track recorded at Elixir Studio by Peter Fancher.
Additional track editing provided by Joel Hatstat.

Craig Lieske & Serson Brannen Live @ the 40 Watt Club 1/03/2013
Echo Canyon Live @ Flicker Bar 8/22/2012
Garbage Island “Beginning of the Big Letdown” 2005
Craig Lieske Solo Live @ Farm 255 9/09/2009
Craig Lieske Solo Live @ Farm 255 9/09/2009
No More Revivals Live At Tasty World 7/27/2004
Diet Rock Star Live @ Mercury Lounge 5/28/2008
Craig Lieske & Marshall Marrotte Live @ Flicker Bar 8/29/2012
Craig Lieske & Jay Gonzalez “Sleep Walk” Live @ Flicker Bar 8/29/2012
Craig Lieske & Jeff Chasteen Live @ Flicker Bar 8/22/2012
The SkySaw Live @ Caledonia Lounge 3/08/2005
Craig Lieske & Marshall Marrotte Live @ Flicker Bar 8/05/2004
Craig Lieske & George Davidson Live @ Flicker Bar 8/01/2012
Rock Star Canyon Live @ 40 Watt Club 12/29/2008
Jeremiah Cymerman’s Big Exploitation Live @ 40 Watt Club 2/24/2007
The Quatto Live @ 40 Watt Club 04/13/2005
Craig Lieske & Jay Gonzalez “My One and Only Love” Live @ Flicker
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

I must admit when I first invited folk to join in with my personal family toast to Craig I had no idea the amount of interest it would incur..At the time it was just a small gesture for a very dear friend..and then people started messaging and saying can we join in with your family..Thats when we threw it open to the HeAthen family and friends..The response was breathtaking tonight..I have never seen so much love,grief,celebration in one small space..and it was a first for us with this cyber goings on..but it was a fitting one that the global family could all take part in...I know Craig would have approved..Thank you again for all that took part ..There will always be love xx
It's Great To Be Alive........

Clams

Post by Clams »

Mrs Swamp wrote:Here are a couple of picture`s that I took that night...

Really great pic, Mrs S.

I can only hope that I'm having that much fun and looking that cool the night before I go.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I wonder how a life so sturdy
Can just one day cease to be
I'm never one to wonder
About things we can't control
I just stare off in the darkness
And feel the highway roll
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's no reason to literally lock this thread but that sounds a lot like the perfect ending to a very imperfect event.

sc redhead

Post by sc redhead »

for all of you who would like to contribute to the memorial book for Melinda, I just wanted to tell you that after our trip down for the memorial yesterday, that I have decided to extend the deadline for contributions to the memorial book. After talking with a few people that want to be included and want to help spread the word to have more folks that I don't know how to reach included, I am extending the dead line until the end of February. Thanks to those of you have shared already!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

That's a really great thing you're doing there, sc redhead. I would strongly encourage everyone to send along whatever stories you have of Craig for inclusion in this.

The memorial service at the 40 Watt on Saturday was moving and funny and poignant and sad. There were many speakers (including Barbe, Matt D., Patterson, and Cooley among others) who shared their histories with Craig, and many of the same kinds of stories we've shared in this thread. There was a photo montage which played as Craig's music played which I thought was really nicely done; many laugh-out-loud moments looking at some of the silly and sweet pictures. The 40 Watt bar was open, so there was much toasting in Craig's memory. I enjoyed the somewhat absurd moment of being carded and handstamped at the doors of a memorial service; I think Craig would've laughed about that too.

It was so nice seeing and sharing the moment with Athens Joe, GMU and Strutter, pbr man and Holly, the Swamps, sc red and Josh, bogart, and so many other of the friends and friendly faces we've come to know in our little extended community here. When I saw Jenn she thanked us for coming such a long way, and I told her we were carrying a lot of other people with us. And when we all raised our glasses at 4, I could feel you all with us, all of us supporting each other.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

uncle rickey wrote: I enjoyed the somewhat absurd moment of being carded and handstamped at the doors of a memorial service; I think Craig would've laughed about that too.

Classic. I'm sure he would have. :)

TDB

Post by TDB »

The last time I saw Craig....besides this past weekend in Athens.....was at Merriweather Post Pavilion in May of 2012. I was broke, as usual. Hadn't seen DBT since the NYE run at 9:30 Club (2011/2012) and I was itching for a fix. Mattador was nice enough to give me the ok to show up for soundcheck, but Craig was the one who got me in. I was getting hassled by a little, black lady in a rent-a-cop outfit for parking behind the stage when I saw Craig walk off the bus. Not only did he come to my rescue, but he gave me a laminate so I wouldn't get any further shit from security. Craig led me to the pavilion, we grabbed a seat, and watched as DBT did their thing. While the band played, Craig and I talked about our future plans: my idea of moving to New Orleans and Craig's new life with Melinda. He sounded more positive than usual and we both seemed to appreciate each others place in life. It was a nice little moment that I will never forget. We saw each other a few times throughout the day, but that was the last REAL time I got a chance to sit down with Craig and shoot the shit. I will miss that. I will miss our conversations. I will miss our kinship. And I will miss smoking out front of the 40 Watt and bullshitting with my friend before a ROCK SHOW.

Athens Joe

Post by Athens Joe »

It's taken me a while to wrap my head around my thoughts on this and still won't do them justice. I don't feel like I spent enough time with Craig to call him a close friend, but the time I spent was meaningful enough so that I can call him a friend without a doubt. His celebratory attitude was contagious. He loved his friends with everything he had. A few months ago I was standing next to him at a Don Chambers + Goat show at the Georgia Theatre. We were near the front stomping our feet to werewolf moon and he leaned over and said "I love it when I get to watch my friends kick ass." "It’s why I’ll never leave this town." Those comments captured his true spirit. He celebrated the moment and made others want to celebrate it with him. He was almost always looking outward, but judging from the personal stories that he shared with a lot of you on here, he also had a unique ability to look inward and reflect just enough so he would be able to share what he learned to help others.

He took a personal interest in some health issues that I've had and it felt good to know that there was always someone on the west end of downtown that was on my side and was there to listen and help. He wasn't just concerned, he was pissed that I was having to fight it. He was in my corner and in your corner as well. He had an uncanny ability to stop what he was doing, listen with intent, and then show you that he gave a damn with his response.

While he always seemed like a jovial dude when I first met him in 2009, his demeanor changed even more for the better after he started dating Melinda a couple of years ago. My heart has especially bled for her and the infectious love that ended way too soon. She is a doll of a lady and deserves the best. I'm glad that she's getting support from her friends and the community to help give her some comfort during this time.

During the service, Craig's close friend Steve Miller gave one of the most memorable eulogies. All of them were great, but he said some words that particularly stood out. He said that there are two types of heroes - tragic heroes and perfect heroes. Tragic heroes have an inherent flaw that will ultimately lead to his downfall and disappoint his followers. He said that if Mel Gibson would have quit acting after Braveheart, he would have been the best actor in the history of the world and a perfect hero because he would have went out on top without ever failing his followers. However, he did not, and we know the rest of the story there. He is a prime example of the tragic hero. Craig, on the other hand, is without a doubt the perfect hero. He was a hero to us all here on earth and never did anything to strip himself of that title.

I miss you Craig. A soul like yours lives on in all of us. I know you're in a better place brother. Thanks for being a listener, an entertainer, a friend, an ambassador, and a perfect hero.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

uncle rickey wrote:There was a photo montage which played as Craig's music played which I thought was really nicely done; many laugh-out-loud moments looking at some of the silly and sweet pictures.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I've been wearing the grooves out on Neil Young's Tonight's The Night Album since Craig died. It is my all-time fave Neil record and I can't help changing the words to "Craig Lieske was a working man he used to load the Econoline van."
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sc redhead

Post by sc redhead »

Just a reminder that I would like to have all of the contributions for the Memorial book for Melinda and the family by the end of next week! Thanks to those of you who have already sent them, and if you would like for me to use your post in this thread, please message me and let me know......currently the book will have a section of facebook posts and one that contains all of the emails that I have received, if you want me to use your posts in this thread I will be happy to make a section in the book for 3DD posts too! It is looking good so far!

Thanks everybody!

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Missing this guy right now, remembering some conversations and realizing how little I realized at the time just how cool he was - I just knew I liked talking with him from time to time in the hours before the rock show, and nearly every conversation we had seemed to be on a different topic. For someone like me, who finds it easy to write and can talk professionally, but often is at a loss for words in social situations with people who aren't already close friends, it was always really easy to talk to Craig and that meant a lot.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

I wish we could have one more round.

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

Well, I rode my bike to work yesterday, put on World of Hurt and then Space City came on...by the time I was at work and had walked upstairs, I was in full blown tears as during these two songs I thought of my "DBT career" thus far and how I have come to know a lot of people and how they have become to know me, thinking of the great times (and the times I have fucked up at shows by having a lot of fun) and how much I really miss Craig. I am just really still so saddened that he is not phsysically here with us and feel at times it's just not the same without him. DBT has been through so much in just over the last year, I just am thankful for them and realized how much I must really love this band, the crew, the other heAthens I have met because what other bands songs and thoughts of the people I have met can bring me tears...I just miss Craig so much and I was just getting to know him...a lot of you here have been fans much longer and have known him much longer, can't imagine how everyone else is still feeling, just want everyone to know that I am aware I have made mistakes, and I am sorry, but I truly care for all the folks I have met and I sure hope everyone is hanging in there...sending love to you all...
Last edited by RockStar on Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RockStar wrote:I just miss Craig so much and I was just getting to know him...a lot of you here have been fans much longer and have known him much longer, can't imagine how everyone else is still feeling

My thoughts still run to Craig fairly often and you have summed up a big part of them exactly right here.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

I am thankful for the time I had and for the friendships I will have forever through DBT, heAthen for Life here...
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Is it weird that I went to a DBT show and missed seeing Craig way more than I missed seeing Jason, Shonna or John?
Keep calm and have a cigar

sg207

Post by sg207 »

sactochris wrote:Is it weird that I went to a DBT show and missed seeing Craig way more than I missed seeing Jason, Shonna or John?

Not at all. Despite the general fan friendliness of the band, Craig was the guy who remembered your name, said hi, asked how you were doing, and made you feel like a long lost friend regardless of how well you actually knew him.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I actually had the thought when I was in Athens, I wonder if merch sales will fall without Craig? Not to dollar and cent his life or anything, but I only gave the merch booth a passing glance those nights, partially because Craig wasn't there so I didn't make it a point to get there, and partially because I really just didn't really want to see the booth without Craig.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

sg207 wrote:
sactochris wrote:Is it weird that I went to a DBT show and missed seeing Craig way more than I missed seeing Jason, Shonna or John?

Not at all. Despite the general fan friendliness of the band, Craig was the guy who remembered your name, said hi, asked how you were doing, and made you feel like a long lost friend regardless of how well you actually knew him.

My ritual used to be about 45 minutes to an hour into the show I'd bring Craig a Makers and ginger, his drink. Sometimes he'd have me watch the booth while he went to the bathroom. We'd spend about fifteen minutes talking about movies, books, his plans to get a Masters degree in psychology or counseling so he could volunteer at Nuci's Space. That was one of his dreams.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It would have been Craig's Birthday today. Here's to you my friend, you are sorely missed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Happy Birthday my brother.....49 years old today....."Craig Mas"in heaven....miss you man.. :(

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Tried to explain the significance of Grand Canyon tonight, but couldn't quite hit the mark. Saying "the guy we knew at the t-shirt stand" seems so shallow based on the connection that my wife and I made with Craig through a dozen or so rock shows. As we approach the new timeframe for 2014 Homecoming we continue to celebrate a bright 40 watt light!!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."