Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by Penny Lane »

Everyone here summed it up really well. He was an incredible human being and treated everyone with dignity, kindness and joy. He represented the Truckers well. I got to be closer to him the past few years and we got into some facebook political discussions recently and of course, he'd always private message me to make sure he didn't offend me in any way. He was also from Ohio and we talked about meeting up when he was home visiting his family. i'm grieving mostly for Melinda now as I truly believe he spent the last few years with his soul mate. He was so truly in love and happy and loved meeting new folks. He remembered EVERYONE...Even in Richmond, he gave me a free t-shirt for no reason. Always a hefty greeting and smile or a joke. He lived life to the fullest. I'm also keeping UR and CG and Cole and the band and all those closest to him in my thoughts and prayers...they are a family and in turn he made all of us his extended DBT family. I will never forget him and it brings a smile to my face knowing that he lived life to the fullest, he loved Melinda and he loved friends and he brought so much joy to the world.

I feel like I want to get a bracelet now that says WWCLD....because he so incredible. A kindred, kindred spirit taken too soon but teaching us all to live fully and love till the day we die. I know he did. I know it. I know Living Bubba wasn't written about him but to me, it's now become his anthem.
Last edited by Penny Lane on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

joelle

Post by joelle »

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

A friend of mine who works in book publishing for National Geographic just sent me this. He has never met Craig and has no idea who he is, he just knows that I am a DBT fan. This just shows the power of Craig...even people who have never heard of him are hearing of him.

Obituary: Bookseller & Musician Craig Lieske (1964-2013)
Jan 22, 2013

Athens, Ga.-based musician and bookseller Craig Lieske died on January 18; he was 48. Although best known as a rocker with Drive-By Truckers, Lieske was a strong supporter of the Avid Bookshop and joined the store’s staff in October. “Most news coverage focuses on what an amazing soul and talented musician he was,” said Avid Bookshop owner Janis Geddis in an e-mail.”But I want to point out to that he was a voracious reader who could (and did) befriend anyone who walked into this shop. He really made this little bookstore even better and we’ve already begun to miss him acutely.” To hear a recent performance of Lieske with his band Echo Canyon, click here.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:... CG mentioned that he considered her to be his little sister and I recall specifically one occasion where he came to her defense just like the big brother. On Facebook, CG had forwarded on the call from Athens to oppose the building of the Walmart downtown and some guy...some wingnut jerk (my apologies CG if you are actually friends with that guy) just starts railing on sweet CG for "meddling in local affairs" or some BS being really rude. Before anyone else could say anything to the guy Craig just lays into him and sets him straight. Craig was a nice guy but he had no qualms sticking up for his friends.

It makes me happy that you remember that story, GMU. It is the one that has been running through my head over the last several days. I don't actually have any siblings, so when Craig stood up for me like that, I was incredibly touched. I finally knew what it was like to have a big brother. There were of course tons of ways I knew Craig loved me, but that is one that really stands out.

We have seen DBT 108 times now. For 105 of them, Craig was there. We met him during our 2nd show in March, 2008. We met him at the merch booth, of course, and I'll let Luke tell that story.

Within a month of meeting Craig, we lost our 2nd Mom to ALS. I have always believed Mrs. Q. had sent Craig and DBT to us to help us deal with our loss. The last thing Mrs. Q. ever said to me was "Take Care of Luke." Craig wound up taking care of both of us. Over the years, we became very close. We soon got to calling, emailing and texting outside of the shows. We would chat about our lives, send each other random texts out of the blue that would be a Ralph line from the Simpsons, and just be there for each other. For years now, whenever we would be going to a DBT show, we'd call or text Craig as soon as we got into town. He'd let us know his schedule, and we'd meet up for a drink or a meal at just about every show. He always made time for us. Even if his schedule was nutty, he'd at least have time for a quick hug and chat at the merch booth. The next DBT show will be rough, knowing we can't call or see our buddy anymore. I know we're not alone by any stretch, but it still makes me very sad.

Anyway, I'm glad this thread has been started. It is comforting to know there are a lot of good folks out there that were positively influenced by having Craig in their lives, even if it was just a shows or on FaceBook or whatever.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I went over to see my moma Sunday afternoon. She's 64 years old, a typical older Southern lady, and the only reason she even knows the Truckers exist is because she has seen me with the tee shirts on. Anyway, she said she had heard about Craig's untimely passing and commented that he must have been a wonderful person to be missed my so many.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

I don't have adequate words yet - and may never have them. I want to wait until I've been able to try to pull together some coherent, sincere, meaningful thoughts. My co-workers, too, saw the post on my fb this weekend and many of them became intrigued and visited Craig's fb and began reading about him. They've all been wonderful today with their condolences and said they could see how amazing how was from all the kind words from his friends. You never know how far a ripple could travel if the pond didn't have edges.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Same here. I've tried several times to find something to write, but nothing comes out right. Words are too small.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

So my first day back at work was today. First thing in the morning, we have an all staff meeting. My colleagues take one look at me and say "Sarah, you look exhausted, what happened?" I burst into tears and struggle to explain there has been another death. Everyone was immediately kind and caring toward me. I was excused from the staff meeting, which was very sweet. I then followed up with my colleagues by sharing the link on how to help Craig's family. A few minutes later, my co-worker, who started in my office last week, whom I've only worked with for less than one day, emails me. He said he donated to Craig's family. I was floored. The ripple continues.
On a happier note, the same co-worker has seen DBT a few times. I think we're going to be friends!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

No idea if this is appropriate in a memorial thread, but I loved our little aside convos on FB, just going back through these--especially our quibbling over Ayn Rand...teary eyed going through these..

8:04pm
Craig Lieske
That outburst about Ayn Rand was not directed at you, it was directed at the other dude that posted before you. obviously not a fan of Rand's but I am a fan of your wonderful soul. Good to see you this past weekend.

8:31pm
Christine Davis
ha ha no problem! i haven't had time today to go back on your thread and defend objectivism! and btw 'we the living' is a GREAT love story...i cried at the end.

8:32pm
Craig Lieske
I'll take your word for it.

8:38pm
Christine Davis
I had to respond. Just got home. Such an old debate. I don't like Atlas Shrugged but i love Fountainhead. See you in Richmond! (or on Sat if you go to that fest in Chattanooga)

8:39pm
Craig Lieske
Ditto you on that. Anthem was better than those other two. See you in Chattanooga!

8:39pm
Christine Davis
maybe i'll break Anthem out again.

8:41pm
Craig Lieske
I read that shit in my early 20's.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I've been taken with how beautiful people's memories and experiences of Craig are.

Mine? Honestly, I feel small and petty.

Right after the Newtown shootings, I ended up posting on several Facebook threads (which I can't find now--possibly Craig deleted them) of Craig's. This led to us talking music stories, me telling him the bare bones of how I nearly got David Lowery killed that night, which led to us discovering the Good Doctor, Eugene Chadbourne, was a mutual acquaintance. That led to him saying--I swear he said it, even though I can't find it--that he was looking forward to seeing me in Athens and us swapping some more stories. I don't tell the full David Lowery Death Trip story often, and I wanted to tell it again, and Craig was the best imaginable audience.

You know that moment when you've made friends with one of the cool kids, one of the ones who wasn't mean? I had that moment.

Then I unwisely bailed on my bus ticket out and back and stayed in town (which was hellish all on its own) due to a mixture of poverty and responsibility. Well, I figured, I'd see Craig the next week here in Little Rock, and I'd do my damnedest to buy him lunch or something. At the least, I'd have another book to give him.

I'd just gotten back from my lunch hour to finalize what I stupidly stayed in town for when I looked at...something, 3DD or Facebook...and saw the terrible news, and at least briefly, I felt a little self-pity. I'd really been looking forward to knowing Craig a little better. Like I said, small and petty of me.

Then I tried to convince myself to bail on my responsibilities and get in the car and drive to Athens, right then, but couldn't quite do it.

The weekend I had here was the opposite of the one I would have had if I'd shown up in Athens broke or close to it. If I'd done that, people would have been generous to me. I'd've found a not-too-cold floor to sleep on and some good healthy baloney sandwiches, but I didn't, because the failure was on me for not preparing better. Looking back, I should have.

But I've got a plan to get even with Craig tomorrow. Almost every time I bought merch, I said I could spend more if he'd take a check. He'd look like he was considering it, then say no, really nicely. It never offended me--I got why. But I also had a secret aspiration to get respectable enough (modulo the company I keep) to get Craig to take a check from me.

Well, tomorrow, I'm going to put a check in the jar to help with Craig's final expenses, and, much as I wish it were otherwise, there's not a damn thing he can do about it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Is it time? These are the words that I’ve started with the last several times I’ve tried to write something about my dear fallen friend Craig Lieske. As I write this I still wonder whether this is the time I’ll finish but if you’re reading these words than I guess it was. One thing that strikes me as I read tributes to Craig is that it really only took five minutes with him before he was your friend. My five minutes happened in February of 2008 in Milwaukee. I was standing in the lobby waiting for a drink with the merch table behind me when someone (I’ve forgotten who) asked me if I had met Craig. I hadn’t so we ambled over and I introduced myself. We talked about DBT for a minute and then he asked me if I was excited to see The Felice Brothers who were opening that night. I told him that they were new to me but that I’d give them a shot. He directed me to their table right next door and convinced me to buy two records and a book by Simone Felice. I thought to myself that this man was quite the salesman, but in reality, as I came to know, he was a pied piper leading people in directions that he thought they should go. He didn’t care if you stayed there; he just wanted to make sure you tried the road first. After that we always had a few words at every show, leading me to merch that he thought I’d like, chastising me for not owning Southern Rock Opera on vinyl and assuring me that it was perfectly OK to love Blue Oyster Cult (a band that we shared a love for but that I considered a guilty pleasure). I finally bought that vinyl copy of SRO in Lexington, KY in April of 2010. Craig was excited that I was purchasing it but asked if I was OK, said I didn't look good. In fact I had suffered a heart attack earlier that day or the night before and didn't know it yet, nor did anyone else. He seemed to know something was wrong though. After my hospital stay some fine folks, led by the Swamps, made a get well video for me and I’ll always remember Craig, in full TBTD regalia, wishing me a speedy recovery.

As time went on we became closer friends nearly always meeting for a meal when Lurleen and I were going to a show and when in Athens it was always great to see him and Melinda. He literally glowed in her presence and that was nice to see. When we started planning our wedding Craig was always asking about what was going on. We shared a huge laugh in Asheville last year when Lurleen was talking about my impending move to Mississippi and mentioned the stress of me moving in with my “fucking dog”. His belly laugh was probably heard overseas. Now, just for the record, she loves the dog but of course it was stress and joking about it with Craig became a running gag. I’d get texts asking about “my fucking dog” and we laughed about it regularly. Of course when the move happened he asked how it went, how the dog got along with the cats, etc., etc. When we started a “secret” FB page for our wedding not only was he the first to post on it he was THE most frequent poster. When Lurleen was stressing about the something old, borrowed, etc. Craig offered his old brown hat. At times he seemed more excited about the wedding than we were. He talked about him and Melinda dancing a special dance for the occasion. We got to see them last Wednesday night at Flicker and talked about what a good time we were all going to have. Then, of course, we got to see him play the music he loved so much. Craig had also reserved some Women Without Whiskey flasks for me that I was giving out to the guys that stood up and/or helped in the wedding. I had asked him weeks before and he made sure they were in stock just for us. I picked them up Thursday before the show. Then, with Thundercrack, we got to see him again playing his guitar mere feet from us. That was a blessing even if we didn’t know how much of one it was at the time. After the show Lurleen bought a Tee shirt and poster and he wouldn’t let us pay. He told us how much he loved us and that he’d see us the next day. Of course that next day never happened.

I’m not going into details about hearing the news on Friday, but like everyone else we were destroyed. It didn't feel real and, in some ways, still doesn't. Of course we wondered about the show that night and even if we should cancel the wedding but of course we knew if we did that Craig would come down from the heavens and smite us all. We’d soldier through, just like DBT did Friday night, because he wouldn't have had it any other way. The show on Friday night was a needed release as we got to cry with and hug some of our very favorite people in the world as we mourned our terrible, mutual loss. It started the healing although I suspect the full healing will take a very, very long time.

The morning of the wedding this past Sunday I woke up thinking of Craig and had tears in my eyes within seconds of opening them. I knew how much he wanted to be there and I was so very sad that he wouldn't be. Then I realized that of course he would be. He would be looking down at us and smiling and laughing and helping us all get through, and I felt him that day as strongly as if he was in the front row cheering us on.

I will miss Craig for the rest of my days. He was perhaps the kindest soul I've ever encountered offering encouraging, sarcastic or even acerbic words depending on what the occasion called for. He was always quick to smile, quick to laugh and the music poured from every part of his being more than anyone I've ever known. Every time I see a picture of him I smile a little and cry a little. The day will come when it will only be a smile, but that might be a long time coming. You showed us how to live my friend, be kind to others, always laugh even when you feel like crying and to always remember that the music will take you home. I know that it’s followed you home and we’ll always be able to hear it. Goodbye my dear friend, you will never, ever be forgotten.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Is it time? These are the words that I’ve started with the last several times I’ve tried to write something about my dear fallen friend Craig Lieske. As I write this I still wonder whether this is the time I’ll finish but if you’re reading these words than I guess it was. One thing that strikes me as I read tributes to Craig is that it really only took five minutes with him before he was your friend. My five minutes happened in February of 2008 in Milwaukee. I was standing in the lobby waiting for a drink with the merch table behind me when someone (I’ve forgotten who) asked me if I had met Craig. I hadn’t so we ambled over and I introduced myself. We talked about DBT for a minute and then he asked me if I was excited to see The Felice Brothers who were opening that night. I told him that they were new to me but that I’d give them a shot. He directed me to their table right next door and convinced me to buy two records and a book by Simone Felice. I thought to myself that this man was quite the salesman, but in reality, as I came to know, he was a pied piper leading people in directions that he thought they should go. He didn’t care if you stayed there; he just wanted to make sure you tried the road first. After that we always had a few words at every show, leading me to merch that he thought I’d like, chastising me for not owning Southern Rock Opera on vinyl and assuring me that it was perfectly OK to love Blue Oyster Cult (a band that we shared a love for but that I considered a guilty pleasure). I finally bought that vinyl copy of SRO in Lexington, KY in April of 2010. Craig was excited that I was purchasing it but asked if I was OK, said I didn't look good. In fact I had suffered a heart attack earlier that day or the night before and didn't know it yet, nor did anyone else. He seemed to know something was wrong though. After my hospital stay some fine folks, led by the Swamps, made a get well video for me and I’ll always remember Craig, in full TBTD regalia, wishing me a speedy recovery.

As time went on we became closer friends nearly always meeting for a meal when Lurleen and I were going to a show and when in Athens it was always great to see him and Melinda. He literally glowed in her presence and that was nice to see. When we started planning our wedding Craig was always asking about what was going on. We shared a huge laugh in Asheville last year when Lurleen was talking about my impending move to Mississippi and mentioned the stress of me moving in with my “fucking dog”. His belly laugh was probably heard overseas. Now, just for the record, she loves the dog but of course it was stress and joking about it with Craig became a running gag. I’d get texts asking about “my fucking dog” and we laughed about it regularly. Of course when the move happened he asked how it went, how the dog got along with the cats, etc., etc. When we started a “secret” FB page for our wedding not only was he the first to post on it he was THE most frequent poster. When Lurleen was stressing about the something old, borrowed, etc. Craig offered his old brown hat. At times he seemed more excited about the wedding than we were. He talked about him and Melinda dancing a special dance for the occasion. We got to see them last Wednesday night at Flicker and talked about what a good time we were all going to have. Then, of course, we got to see him play the music he loved so much. Craig had also reserved some Women Without Whiskey flasks for me that I was giving out to the guys that stood up and/or helped in the wedding. I had asked him weeks before and he made sure they were in stock just for us. I picked them up Thursday before the show. Then, with Thundercrack, we got to see him again playing his guitar mere feet from us. That was a blessing even if we didn’t know how much of one it was at the time. After the show Lurleen bought a Tee shirt and poster and he wouldn’t let us pay. He told us how much he loved us and that he’d see us the next day. Of course that next day never happened.

I’m not going into details about hearing the news on Friday, but like everyone else we were destroyed. It didn't feel real and, in some ways, still doesn't. Of course we wondered about the show that night and even if we should cancel the wedding but of course we knew if we did that Craig would come down from the heavens and smite us all. We’d soldier through, just like DBT did Friday night, because he wouldn't have had it any other way. The show on Friday night was a needed release as we got to cry with and hug some of our very favorite people in the world as we mourned our terrible, mutual loss. It started the healing although I suspect the full healing will take a very, very long time.

The morning of the wedding this past Sunday I woke up thinking of Craig and had tears in my eyes within seconds of opening them. I knew how much he wanted to be there and I was so very sad that he wouldn't be. Then I realized that of course he would be. He would be looking down at us and smiling and laughing and helping us all get through, and I felt him that day as strongly as if he was in the front row cheering us on.

I will miss Craig for the rest of my days. He was perhaps the kindest soul I've ever encountered offering encouraging, sarcastic or even acerbic words depending on what the occasion called for. He was always quick to smile, quick to laugh and the music poured from every part of his being more than anyone I've ever known. Every time I see a picture of him I smile a little and cry a little. The day will come when it will only be a smile, but that might be a long time coming. You showed us how to live my friend, be kind to others, always laugh even when you feel like crying and to always remember that the music will take you home. I know that it’s followed you home and we’ll always be able to hear it. Goodbye my dear friend, you will never, ever be forgotten.

I just had to close my office door, because this brought tears to my eyes.

Craig was definitely on point that night in Milwaukee. He was always very personable, but I hadn't ever seen him as enthusiastic and talkative than he was at the Pabst that night.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

I can't do this.

But I just want to thank all of you for showing so much love to somebody who meant so much to me.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The Sinister Elf

Post by The Sinister Elf »

just to bend that note in two :(

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Such a shock to loose a such a sincere genuine friend, a guy that was one in a million. He chatted with me on a daily basis..whenever he could with us being over here..Great debates about music,food etc. He helped encourage me through my disease and was always there for me.. He told me that I was his Sister from a different mother..like many of Us I felt that to be true..We all felt a connection with him.. Craig arranged for my boys to be allowed in the 40 watt and Flickers for the weekend...They met him for the first time on the wednesday in Flickers and My youngest Son spent most of the Thursday night sat with Craig and Mel at the stand and He too fell in love with them both.. He gave both of my boys shirts as He missed them at Christmas..It was hard explaining to them on Friday that their friend wouldn't be at the stand that night and why..I know you are rocking the shit outta of it up there my dear friend..We will meet again up there and share a Makers Mark and speak of the wonders of Hermins Hermits :)
It's Great To Be Alive........

sc redhead

Post by sc redhead »

Alright guys, I have decided to do something for Melinda. I talked to Jenn about it today and she thinks she will love the idea as well, I would like to gather together as many stories as possible from people about their "Craig experience" something that you have to share that Melinda and the family will take comfort in knowing how he impacted your life, when I have all these stories or sweet sentiments about Craig I am going to put them together as a book. This way all of us can have the opportunity to express our feelings in one place with out overwhelming her with mail to her house, or days of weeding through more facebook posts and messages from all over, this would give her all that we wanted to say in one place for her to read when she is ready, if you would like to share anything, please send me an email @ janettesnicholls@gmail.com and use Craig as the subject line, in case it goes to my spam folder, I will be able to find it. I will respond to everyone that sends something to let you know that I have received it. I would like for each of your stories to include your name and where you live, not your address, only the town and state or just the state or country for our out of the country family will do. If you have pictures you would like to share, please share them as well!

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Man, I'm having a real hard time dealing with the loss of Craig..This weekend I hope to gather my thoughts and memories and put them into writing. I'm just so deeply saddend....

Not sure if y'all heard, but the 40Watt is having a Memorial Service for Craig on the 2nd.
Here's what is posted on their twitter account:
40 Watt Club @40WattAthens

Craig Lieske Memorial service to be held at the 40 Watt Saturday, February 2nd, 2-4pm Open to family and Friends

For all of you in the 706 - 404 - 770 - 678 area codes please make it if you can....

sc redhead

Post by sc redhead »

sc redhead wrote:Alright guys, I have decided to do something for Melinda. I talked to Jenn about it today and she thinks she will love the idea as well, I would like to gather together as many stories as possible from people about their "Craig experience" something that you have to share that Melinda and the family will take comfort in knowing how he impacted your life, when I have all these stories or sweet sentiments about Craig I am going to put them together as a book. This way all of us can have the opportunity to express our feelings in one place with out overwhelming her with mail to her house, or days of weeding through more facebook posts and messages from all over, this would give her all that we wanted to say in one place for her to read when she is ready, if you would like to share anything, please send me an email @ janettesnicholls@gmail.com and use Craig as the subject line, in case it goes to my spam folder, I will be able to find it. I will respond to everyone that sends something to let you know that I have received it. I would like for each of your stories to include your name and where you live, not your address, only the town and state or just the state or country for our out of the country family will do. If you have pictures you would like to share, please share them as well!

Maluca3 suggested that I give a deadline for anyone who wants to submit anything for the book, and I understand that it is still difficult to put things into words right now, I have something on facebook that does not even scratch the surface on how I feel. This is not a project that I want to rush through, so I would like to give a deadline of February 10th, that is about 2 1/2 weeks out.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

sc redhead wrote:
sc redhead wrote:Alright guys, I have decided to do something for Melinda. I talked to Jenn about it today and she thinks she will love the idea as well, I would like to gather together as many stories as possible from people about their "Craig experience" something that you have to share that Melinda and the family will take comfort in knowing how he impacted your life, when I have all these stories or sweet sentiments about Craig I am going to put them together as a book. This way all of us can have the opportunity to express our feelings in one place with out overwhelming her with mail to her house, or days of weeding through more facebook posts and messages from all over, this would give her all that we wanted to say in one place for her to read when she is ready, if you would like to share anything, please send me an email @ janettesnicholls@gmail.com and use Craig as the subject line, in case it goes to my spam folder, I will be able to find it. I will respond to everyone that sends something to let you know that I have received it. I would like for each of your stories to include your name and where you live, not your address, only the town and state or just the state or country for our out of the country family will do. If you have pictures you would like to share, please share them as well!

Maluca3 suggested that I give a deadline for anyone who wants to submit anything for the book, and I understand that it is still difficult to put things into words right now, I have something on facebook that does not even scratch the surface on how I feel. This is not a project that I want to rush through, so I would like to give a deadline of February 10th, that is about 2 1/2 weeks out.

Fantastic idea, thanks for organizing this, Janette!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Howlinwolf wrote:Man, I'm having a real hard time dealing with the loss of Craig..This weekend I hope to gather my thoughts and memories and put them into writing. I'm just so deeply saddend....

Not sure if y'all heard, but the 40Watt is having a Memorial Service for Craig on the 2nd.
Here's what is posted on their twitter account:
40 Watt Club @40WattAthens

Craig Lieske Memorial service to be held at the 40 Watt Saturday, February 2nd, 2-4pm Open to family and Friends

For all of you in the 706 - 404 - 770 - 678 area codes please make it if you can....

I hear you, my friend. It is just horrible. If you need anything, you know how to reach us.

We may not have one of those area codes, but we'll be there on 2/2. Hope to see many of you there!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

sc redhead wrote:Maluca3 suggested that I give a deadline for anyone who wants to submit anything for the book, and I understand that it is still difficult to put things into words right now, I have something on facebook that does not even scratch the surface on how I feel. This is not a project that I want to rush through, so I would like to give a deadline of February 10th, that is about 2 1/2 weeks out.

Thank you for the deadline. That really helps me. I want to do this and I will do this. I think I have really been in denial -- some of it self-imposed. When my Mom got to town for the wedding, she expressed her condolences, but also shared with me that she was worried that I wouldn't allow myself to enjoy the wedding. I told her - just let me have the rest of Friday night and Saturday morning to be in shock and grieve and then, I will try to figure out a way to temporarily compartmentalize and allow myself to feel joy for the wedding. The problem is that then, I just shut down. I cried some every day, but in general, I just dug in my heels and didn't want to believe it. When I woke up Saturday morning and Sunday morning and Monday morning, my first thoughts were that this was just a terrible dream and I wanted to roll over to Dean and say, "I had the most awful, terrible dream" and then I would tell him about it and then we would say, "Thank God it wasn't true." But everyday, when I woke up, it was true. I haven't been able to allow myself to look at any videos or read very many posts. I just want to WILL him back here by sheer force of desire and mindpower. I know that ain't happening and I'm slowly beginning to allow myself to process.

Work has got me running like hell and we are leaving for our honeymoon Saturday morning. I may be able to get some words down before Saturday, but if not, I promise and commit to you here and now that I will get it done by February 10th. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to try to find a few words to convey how much he meant to me and for understanding why I've been so absent in the process. Hard-headed and stubborn for sure.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

From Friday night.

A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

sc redhead

Post by sc redhead »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:
sc redhead wrote:Maluca3 suggested that I give a deadline for anyone who wants to submit anything for the book, and I understand that it is still difficult to put things into words right now, I have something on facebook that does not even scratch the surface on how I feel. This is not a project that I want to rush through, so I would like to give a deadline of February 10th, that is about 2 1/2 weeks out.

Thank you for the deadline. That really helps me. I want to do this and I will do this. I think I have really been in denial -- some of it self-imposed. When my Mom got to town for the wedding, she expressed her condolences, but also shared with me that she was worried that I wouldn't allow myself to enjoy the wedding. I told her - just let me have the rest of Friday night and Saturday morning to be in shock and grieve and then, I will try to figure out a way to temporarily compartmentalize and allow myself to feel joy for the wedding. The problem is that then, I just shut down. I cried some every day, but in general, I just dug in my heels and didn't want to believe it. When I woke up Saturday morning and Sunday morning and Monday morning, my first thoughts were that this was just a terrible dream and I wanted to roll over to Dean and say, "I had the most awful, terrible dream" and then I would tell him about it and then we would say, "Thank God it wasn't true." But everyday, when I woke up, it was true. I haven't been able to allow myself to look at any videos or read very many posts. I just want to WILL him back here by sheer force of desire and mindpower. I know that ain't happening and I'm slowly beginning to allow myself to process.

Work has got me running like hell and we are leaving for our honeymoon Saturday morning. I may be able to get some words down before Saturday, but if not, I promise and commit to you here and now that I will get it done by February 10th. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to try to find a few words to convey how much he meant to me and for understanding why I've been so absent in the process. Hard-headed and stubborn for sure.

You are quite welcome, when the deadline was suggested, I thought about it for a bit, because I know how hard it is to put emotions into words, I wanted to allow everyone to be able to have some time to grieve before trying to do just that. When Josh told me, I stood on the sidewalk when he got off the phone, and nothing in the world seemed real, when he said Craig's name, it was like I shut our Craig out as a possibility, the rest of the day was just so strange, until I got to the 40 Watt and there was just so much love in the room, when we left all of friends in Athens this weekend and that support group was gone, reality set in, I have had a rough week, he stays on my mind.............if it would work, I would be right there willing him back with you (and thousands of others too).
I heard the wedding was beautiful and I am happy for you and Dean! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures! I wish you guys many, many, many years of happiness! I hope that you have a wonderful honeymoon!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

just in complete shock. been to alot of shows had a ton of great talks with Craig. Dam this sux.

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Craig was one magnificent bastard. He was as true and as bright a soul as I have ever had the pleasure to meet in my life. Each and every one of us who had the good forture to have had Craig pass through our lives is better for it. And the world is now a bit colder and darker without him in it.

"Wish we could have one more round..."
Send lawyers, guns and money....

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

BostonREB wrote:"Wish we could have one more round..."

X>1000 on that sentiment. :(
Last edited by GuitarManUpstairs on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

GuitarManUpstairs

Via Matador...

GuitarManUpstairs

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Image

Love that! Gotta get that one on a t-shirt.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts