Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

I only had the pleasure of knowing Craig for the last 5 years or so that I have been rabidly following around my favorite band. He was such a good hearted just geniune dude who really cared for all of us that he met throughout the years. I still have never made it to Athens because usually by the time Homecoming comes around I'm still paying off credit card bills for Richmond and DC Rock Shows. Craig would always tell me, "Man, just come on down, you can crash on my couch. Just get down there." This blew me away when he told me that. Here I am, just some dude seeing Rock Shows, who only knows Craig from these shows, and he's inviting me to stay at his house! That's just the kind of guy he was. When I first started seeing him in different states following the band I would go to shake his hand and he would just grab me and give me a big old hug. He was just a loving, cool ass fucking dude. At the 9:30 Club just a few weeks ago we were talking about Toad's Place which is just 5 minutes down the street from me. Craig was telling me how he hated how the merch table was by the doors and it was so cold so I promised to bring him a space heater to keep him warm. He was very thankful for that and I couldn't wait to see him again in March. I was gonna give him the heater and a shot of Maker's Mark cause I still owe him the next round from the after party at Cous Cous in Richmond. Now I'm never gonna have that chance. I guess we really have no idea when we're gonna go but goddamnit we lost Craig too soon. I know it's corny but if we all treated each other the way Craig treated people the world would be a better place. He will be sorely missed and The Rock Show will never be the same again without Craig around. I have felt like complete shit since I got the phone call from Luke yesterday afternoon to break me this awful news. That was another thing that I have Craig to thank for. He introduced Megan and I to so many other awesome people that have now become our friends through our love for DBT. He brought people together with his fun, loving spirit and I'm gonna miss seeing that big old smile on his face. Rest in peace my brother, you touched the lives and hearts of so many and for damn sure you will never be forgotten.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

SteveInCTNeedsADrink wrote: I know it's corny, but if we all treated each other the way Craig treated people the world would be a better place.

That's exactly what I just logged in to say, and I don't think it's corny at all.

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

I didn't know Craig like a lot of you did, but always stopped to speak with him when I saw him. Quick story, before one of the Orange Peel shows last year I had way too much to drink, my friends hadn't gotten there yet and I was out on the smoking deck not feeling well at all. Craig was out there and asked if I was ok, I told him I'd be fine and he left and came back with a bottle of water and gave it to me. He stayed out there for a few minutes to make sure I was going to be ok. Not a lot of people would do that for a drunk they didn't know. I saw him at the 9:30 club on his birthday and he remembered. Told me I looked a lot better than the last time he saw me. He was an awesome guy. RIP Craig.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lotusamerica wrote:
SteveInCTNeedsADrink wrote: I know it's corny, but if we all treated each other the way Craig treated people the world would be a better place.

That's exactly what I just logged in to say, and I don't think it's corny at all.

Nope, it is not. Sounds like a life lesson to me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

Very few people can make you feel like your special. Craig was one of them. He will be missed. Great guy.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=561502

Thundercrack
01/17/2013
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. The Promised Land
03. Born in the USA
04. Candy's Room *
05. Prove it All Night
06. Born to Run

* w/ Patterson Hood on vocals

RIP Craig Lieske

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

This is what I gathered from what you all have written, from the conversations I've been having here in Athens, and from my own precious experience: Craig treated everyone like a friend, and he made each of us feel special. Yes, the perfect role model.

He checked on me a week or so ago to find out if I was coming to Athens this year. The plan was music and a big hug at Flicker on Wednesday night. I'm profoundly grateful I got to give and receive that hug.

He made me feel special.

You are loved, you are loved, you are really loved
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I only met Craig a few times during last years HC and also this year but he was such a great guy everytime.

He was the last person I talked to before I went to bed thursday night.

RIP Craig.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Very sad news. One of the things I love the most about rock n roll is that it has given me the opportunity to meet people as warm hearted and generous as Craig Lieske.
Keep calm and have a cigar

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Met Craig several times over the years at the Rock Show, and he was always the friendliest guy in the room. Like many of you said, I was skeptical at first that he could really remember me along with so many other people, but when I'd show up to a show, he invariably say something like, "Hey, haven't seen you since Lexington, how's things been?" He truly had a gift of remembering each person he came in contact with and making those people feel special.

Glad I got to speak with him at the Lexington show back in the fall, always super-nice and full of unbridled joy. Went to see DBT last February at Headliners in Louisville and got there after the opening act had finished, so there was no room up front. Staked out a spot right beside the merch table and basically got to sit and shoot the breeze with Craig the whole night. That was the night he pulled me aside and told me nothing was finalized yet, but it was looking like Matt Patton would be the bassist for the foreseeable future. So glad I was able to hang out with him that night.

My wife has only been to 5 or 6 DBT shows and isn't what I'd call a huge fan, but even she remembered Craig. Was telling her about his passing today and she remarked, "Was he the really friendly guy with the wild, white hair?" Glad I got acquainted with him, even if it was only a few times a year and can't imagine the Rock Show without him. Prayers and condolences to his friends and family.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Very nice man. I only met him once but he was really nice to me and my wife. He had never seen us before and for all he knew he would never see us again but he was a friend to everybody he met.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

MSTaper

Post by MSTaper »

I didn't "know" Craig, but I'm sure I'd spoken to him briefly when we bought items at the merch table. I remember seeing him at all the DBT shows and he seemed like a really nice guy. He was always friendly and liked to talk to people.

I still hate this happened. The band did great just getting out there and playing. Considering he was a musician and the business he was in, Craig would probably want the guys to go out there and play. And they did.

Thanks to whoever streamed the show. I kept thinking every song was played for a reason. "World of Hurt" was very emotional.

MSTaper

wineisgood

Post by wineisgood »

I met Craig at my first ever rockshow in Columbia, MO 5 or 6 years ago. My buddy and I were over-exuberant and over-intoxicated, Craig was laughing at all the money we were blowing in the merch booth buying shit for all our friends who didn't come. Patterson was having a rough night onstage, having trouble with that old gold Les Paul he used to play. At one point he stopped the show and left the stage, and appeared to be getting a little apeshit with his guitar tech. He came back after intermission and apologized, and finished the show on a SG. When "State Trooper/Buttholeville" came around Craig came onstage, picked up that Les Paul and rocked the house! I don't know what he did or what was done but he was great. We caught him at the booth after the show and thanked him for the jam. After that show it became a tradition to find him before the show and chat a little. No matter where we were, Columbia, Fayetteville, Memphis or St. Louis he always recognized us and always took time to hang with us. I introduced him to my 13-year daughter at her first rock show in Memphis last October. I told him she was also a musician and they talked about pianists and composers, just a guy really taking time to be nice and encouraging. I know the band members already know it, but Craig has been just as much a part of the rock show experience for me, my family and friends as the cathartic band performances. A good guy, gone too soon, who will be missed.

Lew Ashby

Post by Lew Ashby »

One of the finest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He was an amazing soul, and no Drive By Truckers show will ever be the same without him. I am sadder than I will ever be able to put into words...

RIP Craig.

georgewerner

Post by georgewerner »

We live in northern VT and have travelled all over the northeast to see DBT- 8 shows now. We always looked forward to saying hi to Craig and got to know him a little over the years, always busting on him a little that the band never played in VT. Loved it when he got onstage on NYE in NYC, we got a good pic of him onstage and gave it to him at our next show, he seemed to really appreciate it saying we made his night. Well.....now the band's coming to VT and we were so looking forward to giving him and the band a warm VT welcome. He'll be missed for sure. Our deepest sympathies go out to his friends and family, he seemed to be such a genuine, kind and generous guy. Thank you Craig......

Hud

Post by Hud »

The third night at the 40 Watt just ended.

Thank you Craig! And I bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

HollandHill

Post by HollandHill »

Been to somewhere between 15-20 DBT shows and hate to say I did not know Craig personally, particularly after reading this thread in full. Bought plenty of merch from the guy, but almost always after shows when he was busiest, and he would be hustling to service fans as quickly as possible, and I didn't want to be the guy who browsed and BS'd with the merch man with 10 people in line behind me. Now I guess I wish I had gone ahead and pissed off 10 strangers for five minutes just once so that Craig would not be such a stranger now. Went to the Friday night Athens show and definitely sensed loss in the room.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Yesterday I decided I needed to spread some Craig righteousness around in NJ. I got in touch with a band that was on the road and playing a gig at The Saint last night, Justin Jones and The Driving Rain. I decided to set up the bedrooms in my house so they could have a warm place to crash that wasn't somebody's sofa or a sleeping bag on a floor. I figured that was exactly the sort of thing Craig would do.

As it turns out, Justin Jones has shared the bill several times over the years with The Truckers and Craig was one of his favorite people. Justin is not at the level where he can tour with a crew. It is just the guys in the band lugging their own gear and selling their own merchandise. Justin said that everytime he played with The Truckers Craig offered to sell their merch at The Trucker's table. Justin said that Craig was THE ONLY merch guy on the planet who ever did that for him and his band. Usually he has to run out of the dressing room after his set and over to his own merch table. Justin said that thanks to Craig he always sold more cd's and t-shirts when he played with The Truckers than any other show.

Craig was a righteous brother on the road, not just to Trucker fans but to the other bands who shared the bill with them.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Strutter

Post by Strutter »

Russ and I are completely heartbroken over Craig and for Melinda's loss. We loved him so much and usually when we came to Athens we would crash with them. We were looking forward to seeing them both and were actually on our way to see them. I was suppose to give him a call when we got to Athens and we were all gonna bum around Athens together. He had wanted us to come to the Patterson solo show and we had planned to but then Russ got sick and we didn't get to. I told Craig how sorry we were and he said it was okay that we had Homecoming to look forward to :) I never got my chance to see him again and I hope he knew how much he meant to us. My heart hurts, there's no other way to describe it, this will take a while. I will miss him always

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i just stood at the merch table friday night as i entered the 40 watt and cried

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Still in Athens & am not in the mindset to write about my love for Craig yet. Suffice to say for now, when we lost Luke's Mom last week, Craig was one of the first people we called. Both Luke & I consider Craig & Melinda family. In recent years, Craig told me he considers me his little sister. We decided to come to Athens despite our recent loss, & Craig & Melinda & our DBT family was a huge part of our decision. We got in even earlier this year, on Tues, & I'm happy to say we got time with Craig & Melinda starting Tues night.

We are absolutely heartbroken to have a second loss so soon, and especially of an unexpected horrible nature.

We know we're not alone & take comfort in that.

We leave for home tomorrow. I'm in the process of setting up a way for all of us to give back to Craig & to honor his memory. I'll post details here once they are settled.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Not sure if this has been posted here yet (my apologies in advance if it has) but Flagpole is asking for folks to "Please send thoughts, remembrances and photos to music@flagpole.com by Monday morning" for a memorial article they plan to run on Craig. Also, there is a guestbook for folks to sign for Craig's online obituary that you'll find here. Thanks to Smitty for the heads up on that.

Indian Rider Oz

Post by Indian Rider Oz »

I have not had the chance to post here for awhile (Life issues) But I have been struggling with this news Of my friend Craig & it is devastaing as well as hard to believe. I wish I could have been in Athens for one last hug but that was not to be. So I have my memories & theu are all good ones. Craig was the NICEST Guy's I knew, He would always have a kind word & some sort of positive encoragement no matter what shit I had to deal with & he made my world a better place, he always told me if I needed someone to talk to I could always call "YOUR GOOD FRIEND CRAIG" (I should would like to make that call know)
One of my favorite parts of a DBT show was to get there in the afternoon meet up with craig Shoot the shit & grap a bite, have a couple cookies & enjoy the evening. One story in peticular was a couple years back DBT was playing at the TLA in Philly on New Years Day, Craig had called me a few days before & asked if I was going, I told him I was & we talked about getting some grub before the show since it was philly the standard fair is cheessteaks, well craig thought as I did that they are OK but Not that impressed with them( no offense to the phily crowd) (Whitehouse in AC is better IMO) I told him that when the wife & I go to philly we say fuck cheesesteaks let's go to Nick's Roast Beef (20th & Jackson) I told hom how this old bar had been around as long as I remembered & how they still slow cook the Beef & slice fresh as you order it really the best Roast Beef EVER !!! He was excited so I got to the Tla around 4 Craig had finished load in & we headed out to Nick's on a Sat. nite New years Day in Philly pa,( The whole ride I told him how great this is going to be we laughed & had a great time anticipating our feast, well I pull up to the bar & Craig says "Hey Oz is this place open?" I confidently said It's Always open & it is Sat night in philly on new years day why wou;d it be closed, Well it WAS closed for the day ONLY DAY THEY CLOSED!!! Craig was like Oh well well have to come here next time & we ended up at Silk City had a great meal & drinks whent back to the TLA enjoyed the show, I'm sure not many of you care about this story but I think I posted it for me to help the hurt, Thanks for being here, I'm Glad I got to New York to see craigs band play this summer, There arn't many things that can make a big guy like me Cry, The loss of Craig Lieske, I just found out is one of them. I'm Glad I knew him, he has made my life a better place & he has taught me things about caring & thoughtfulness I will carry forever. Thank you Craig for being a friend to the world.
Hugs to All
Oz :(

juanfishmanos11

Post by juanfishmanos11 »

Craig always made time to shoot the shit with me no matter how busy he was. The man always made me feel right at home at the rock show no matter what the circumstances. "Down to Earth" doesn't describe Craig's solid character. He will be missed.

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

I will miss Craig dearly and met him in my home town in 2009...asked him what album I should buy as I had never heard them before the rock show...he said SRO...listened to it everyday (a year and half of SRO) until I saw him again in October of 2011 and I went up and introduced myself, thanked him for the album and shook his hand...I have been going to as many as I can since then...Craig was the coolest guy, looked forward to seeing him at the shows and my heart aches for Melinda, his family, the band and crew...so glad I decided to get to Athens early and make Flickers...a night many of us will cherish forever...rest in peace Craig...
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I believe this has been mentioned elsewhere but there is now a section of the Truckers' website devoted to raising funds to help Craig's family with expenses. Click here to access it.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Craig's loss was such a huge shock to everyone this weekend. Strutter took the picture below of Patterson during People Who Died Friday night and I think this image encapsulates the words that just don't exist to describe how it felt being there. He had started in for another verse, just lost the words and threw his arms down with that expression of being just completely emotionally wrought.

I don't have much to add that everyone else hasn't already mentioned but....Craig was such a great guy to everyone. We became pretty good friends over the last couple years or so and his kindness, that laugh, intelligence, quick wit and generosity of spirit will never be forgotten and there is no doubt the world would be a better place if there were more folks like Craig in it...however he was one of a kind. CG mentioned that he considered her to be his little sister and I recall specifically one occasion where he came to her defense just like the big brother. On Facebook, CG had forwarded on the call from Athens to oppose the building of the Walmart downtown and some guy...some wingnut jerk (my apologies CG if you are actually friends with that guy) just starts railing on sweet CG for "meddling in local affairs" or some BS being really rude. Before anyone else could say anything to the guy Craig just lays into him and sets him straight. Craig was a nice guy but he had no qualms sticking up for his friends.

I wish i had known Craig longer but over the last couple years or so we came to know he and Melinda pretty well. They hosted us when we spent our birthdays in Athens last year. He enjoyed ribbing me for passing out in his floor and I made sure to ask him to vacuum well before my next visit. I helped he and Melinda move her mother out of an apartment in Chattanooga this fall when she was ill and we spent the evening at Flickr together during his residency there a few months back. He kept in touch while our daughter was in the hospital over the holidays and when we had to turn down his invitation to come see Patterson solo in early December he again opened his home to us and made arrangements for us to be on the guest list just so we would be able to afford the trip and spend the evening with he and Mel. Unfortunately that last thing still didn't work out due some pneumonia and my work schedule, so we vowed to make up for it this weekend at homecoming. It was never meant to be. I regret that, but at the same time I am thankful for the times we did get to have and for the opportunity to honestly say he was my friend. We'll miss you brother. Peace be to all those he leaves in his wake.

Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

mbernat77

Post by mbernat77 »

Like so many of you I was amazed that Craig remembered my name and always asked how I was. It was uncanny that he remembered me but amazing by all the posts that he apparently remembered so many. I remember in Macon he asked where my wife was and I told her she was 8 months pregnant. The next show he saw us he asked how the kid was. In Savannah I took a bunch of my friends who know I was a huge DBT fan and he saw me and said he hadn't seen me since Athens. They all realized how much of a fan i was since "the merchandise guy new who you were." I made it a point to go see him before each and every show and he made my wife and I feel like we were his best friend. The merch table and the shows will still be awesome, but never the same.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Everyone here summed it up really well. He was an incredible human being and treated everyone with dignity, kindness and joy. He represented the Truckers well. I got to be closer to him the past few years and we got into some facebook political discussions recently and of course, he'd always private message me to make sure he didn't offend me in any way. He was also from Ohio and we talked about meeting up when he was home visiting his family. i'm grieving mostly for Melinda now as I truly believe he spent the last few years with his soul mate. He was so truly in love and happy and loved meeting new folks. He remembered EVERYONE...Even in Richmond, he gave me a free t-shirt for no reason. Always a hefty greeting and smile or a joke. He lived life to the fullest. I'm also keeping UR and CG and Cole and the band and all those closest to him in my thoughts and prayers...they are a family and in turn he made all of us his extended DBT family. I will never forget him and it brings a smile to my face knowing that he lived life to the fullest, he loved Melinda and he loved friends and he brought so much joy to the world.

I feel like I want to get a bracelet now that says WWCLD....because he so incredible. A kindred, kindred spirit taken too soon but teaching us all to live fully and love till the day we die. I know he did. I know it. I know Living Bubba wasn't written about him but to me, it's not become his anthem.
In my blood, there's gasoline..