Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

When I was inviting people on Facebook to my sermon Sunday, I did the sentimental thing and invited my dead friends. All except Craig. I didn't know this about Facebook till now, but apparently Facebook pages can be marked as belonging to someone deceased and the functionality changes. For instance, it now says "was in a relationship" instead of "is in a relationship", and you can't invite a deceased person to an event. Which makes sense, in one way. In another way altogether, it bums me out. I don't believe in existence after death, but I feel the presence of the departed nonetheless.

Anyway, brother, show up without an invitation if you can make it. There's always room for you.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Anyway, brother, show up without an invitation if you can make it. There's always room for you.

There was always room in his house. Rest in Peace My Friend
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Amen Rev - Miss you CL -

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Today was not literally the anniversary of Craig's death, but since it was the Friday of homecoming wkend it was an anniversary of sorts.

Patterson didn't say a word about it but it was very clear that he remembered: See "Grand Canyon" and "People Who Died."

Craig, you are mourned, you are missed, you are remembered.

Rest in Peace.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Bartender pours our shots just before we "lift our glass and smile"
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

A few good shots of Craig in the Bobby Bare Jr. documentary---with the Uncle Sam outfit on. :D ;)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Swamp

Re: 8 years ago today

Post by Swamp »

2007 would be the first year we saw the band more than twice. We started in March at the Music farm in Chucktown. It
was a 2 night run but we only went to the first night. :( It was a great show but turned out to be the last shows Jason
played with the band. Soon afterward they announced the DU tour and we went to opening night in Athens at the Georgia
Theater. Again we didn't attend the 2nd night. After reading the reviews on 9b I swore I'd never miss a 2nd night again
and flew to SF for their 2 night run at the Great American Music Hall. We couldn't turn back now. In June they were
headlining Athfest. We got to Athens the night before DBT's show. Back then we stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple
blocks from the Georgia Theater. When we got up that morning we ran into Spooner who we had met before the opening
night DU show when Marina accused him of being Cooley's dad :lol:( I had seen him on CSN&Y's living with war tour but
didn't make the connection till he said his name.)We ended up spending the morning walking around Athens with Spooner.
Later that afternoon we started checking out the bands playing around town before heading to the main stage to check
out the situation. It was a very hot day. The merch table was set up and the guy working it looked very hot. Marina
suggested we take him something to drink which we did and began a great friendship. I think that's about the time he
became the full time merch guy. This was only about their 2nd electric show since Jason had left and Craig came on
for the closer and they played the rawist best version of people who died that I have ever seen. :D We went to 3 more
of the DU shows that summer. We got Birmingham in Birmingham where Craig had made sure he had a vinyl copy the Dirty South
for me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Damn I sure miss this guy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

I hear ya TC...one million times over....

Craig's memory always hits me this time of year, when ever I see the Truckers and also think of or visit Athens. It is three years ago today, January 18th, one of the toughest days for me personally.

During our many times of chatting about the band, I asked him what his absolute favorite DBT song was....He paused for a bit and said with a smile " Buttholeville" - - I told that was the song that hooked me...

Maybe the band can rip that one out at Friday's Homecoming show....

MIss ya my brother....grateful of all the times we shared...

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

So...Xmas eve, I finally hung the beautifully framed photo of Craig I got at Nuci's Space auction last year. Original photo by Pamela Baxendale...Captured before he took the stage with Thundercrack...January 17, 2013. Framed by the dangling lights at the 40 Watt, an embracing gaze. The best part of the journey is those very moments before you take the stage and let loose...(if I was more gadgetty I would post a photo of it...)

I have wavered about hanging it. I mean, I can't say i Knew him well. But he was the very first person we met, the first hour of the first afternoon in Athens during our first homecoming in 2010. The first thing I needed to do of course was see where the 40 Watt was. he was standing outside, smoking, notice our mood of anticipation and engaged us in conversation. Oh..."you are the couple from Nova Scotia." At that moment, something shifted for me. The brilliant no holds barred sincerity and the feeling of something special in the air. Sometimes, you just know.

He was the gatekeeper into this incredible journey we have been on with the band and so many...so damn many... beautiful people. Friends...real time friends. I had a couple of meals with him in a crowd and shot the shit in passing on a few occasions. But, he always remembered our names. he was familiar from the moment I met him and I think of him almost everyday. Him and Bed Rudin. They both taught me something about the journey of life and the art of being courageous and selfless.

I wear Ben's bracelet everyday. So I thought about this picture of Craig. Yeah, I can't say I knew them well, but damned if I don't love them both. Love at first sight.

with a shot of Makers, i hung the picture
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blessedcurse wrote:So...Xmas eve, I finally hung the beautifully framed photo of Craig I got at Nuci's Space auction last year. Original photo by Pamela Baxendale...Captured before he took the stage with Thundercrack...January 17, 2013. Framed by the dangling lights at the 40 Watt, an embracing gaze. The best part of the journey is those very moments before you take the stage and let loose...(if I was more gadgetty I would post a photo of it...)

I have wavered about hanging it. I mean, I can't say i Knew him well. But he was the very first person we met, the first hour of the first afternoon in Athens during our first homecoming in 2010. The first thing I needed to do of course was see where the 40 Watt was. he was standing outside, smoking, notice our mood of anticipation and engaged us in conversation. Oh..."you are the couple from Nova Scotia." At that moment, something shifted for me. The brilliant no holds barred sincerity and the feeling of something special in the air. Sometimes, you just know.

He was the gatekeeper into this incredible journey we have been on with the band and so many...so damn many... beautiful people. Friends...real time friends. I had a couple of meals with him in a crowd and shot the shit in passing on a few occasions. But, he always remembered our names. he was familiar from the moment I met him and I think of him almost everyday. Him and Bed Rudin. They both taught me something about the journey of life and the art of being courageous and selfless.

I wear Ben's bracelet everyday. So I thought about this picture of Craig. Yeah, I can't say I knew them well, but damned if I don't love them both. Love at first sight.

with a shot of Makers, i hung the picture
Nice. Really nice.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Yeah, what Bean said.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey brother Craig -

Thinking about you today,with great memories. You are truely missed in the DBT camp as well as all the fans. Not the smae without you friend. Will toast your life tonite and listen to some Garabge Island boots from Southern Shelter. Rock on in heaven CL.
~HW~

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

miss you man,
i miss our phone calls - I could sure use one right now

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey brother Craig - thinking about you, especially today. I sure do miss you man and wish you were here to talk to. Thanks for the great memories, laughs and good times my friend. Hope you come into my dreams every now and then. Keep looking down on all of us. Love you pal.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Due to the extension for the homecoming book I was doing some research on a story and found this.
At the freebird in Jax during the go go boots tour. Sounds bad but great footage of Craig.

Wasn't going to drink that night, but then Patterson handed me his bottle.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey brother Craig - want to reach out and say I'm thinking of you today, when you left us for Heaven. I miss ya brother and miss our talks and discussions of the blues artists we both loved. I moved the Wes Freed print of ya over a stack of my records, so I see you looking down everyday. Hope I can plan to visit to pay my respects when I venture to ATH next month. If not, know I appreciated our friendship and honored to be a pal of yours. Come to me in a dream man, and let's go on a adventure. Rock on in Heaven brother ...~HW~
PS - DBT played the Fox in ATL and they kicked ass.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Friday of Homecoming Weekend will always be "Craig Lieske Day" for me even though the dates don't actually match up w/ Homecoming in February. He was a special, extraordinary man and I regret not having the opportunity to know him better. I will do my best to raise a glass and smile.